Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • Bottleneck
  • Processors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
August 26, 2010 1:40:52 AM

judging from benchmarks achieved with an i7 rig it seems as though my current processor is being bottlenecking my gtx 260. My current processor is a AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8 per core) cache sucks on this cpu apparently. Can someone tell me if this is the case or not? Also what is the most logical upgrade in CPU from here. I am happy with the power of the GTX 260 but wander if i am missing out on a good number of fps because of my weak processor, please help.

Thanks,
Josh

More about : bottlenecking gtx 260

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
August 26, 2010 10:16:02 AM

It depends on the games and the resolutions that you play.
Resolutions like 1680x1050 and lower benefit from the CPU,whereas higher resolutions benefit more from GPU,also adding eye-candies such as AA/AF, puts the pressure on your VGA.
Also most current games are VGA-limited(most First person shooters,racing games etc.),whereas some other ones are CPU limited(such as most RTS titles etc).
August 26, 2010 1:52:37 PM

plain and simple:

CPU<> Resolution

have you had interests in overclocking? to at least 3.3 - 3.5 Ghz... will make a difference!!

just my thought

Dane
m
l
Related resources
August 26, 2010 6:40:28 PM

Maziar said:
It depends on the games and the resolutions that you play.
Resolutions like 1680x1050 and lower benefit from the CPU,whereas higher resolutions benefit more from GPU,also adding eye-candies such as AA/AF, puts the pressure on your VGA.
Also most current games are VGA-limited(most First person shooters,racing games etc.),whereas some other ones are CPU limited(such as most RTS titles etc).

I usually game at 1080p or 1680X1050 and I am getting good frames in most games. I noticed yesterday that my integrated ATI card was not uninstalled. Upon uninstalling and reinstalling the nvidia drivers I am seeing much better performance, almost 20 K in passmark when the gtx 260 is overclocked to 750 core, 1250 mem with shaders linked in evga precision. With the former ATI drivers still installed I was getting a 700 in passmark wow. Thanks for the advice. Could someone tell me what the most logical cpu to upgrade to would be? I have a gigabyte ga-ma785gm-us2h mobo. Also if an upgrade won't achieve much than what is a good cpu cooler for overclocking?
m
l
August 26, 2010 9:23:55 PM

Best answer selected by defytheordinary001.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 26, 2010 9:29:15 PM

defytheordinary001 said:
I usually game at 1080p or 1680X1050 and I am getting good frames in most games. I noticed yesterday that my integrated ATI card was not uninstalled. Upon uninstalling and reinstalling the nvidia drivers I am seeing much better performance, almost 20 K in passmark when the gtx 260 is overclocked to 750 core, 1250 mem with shaders linked in evga precision. With the former ATI drivers still installed I was getting a 700 in passmark wow. Thanks for the advice. Could someone tell me what the most logical cpu to upgrade to would be? I have a gigabyte ga-ma785gm-us2h mobo. Also if an upgrade won't achieve much than what is a good cpu cooler for overclocking?

Since your board supports Phenom II CPUs, so getting a Phenom II X4 955/965 would give you a good boost in performance
m
l
August 26, 2010 10:06:39 PM

thanks the 965 seems like a good buy
m
l