Closed Solved

GTX 460 w/ 260 help

I have a Gigabyte GTX super overclock edition and a 620w Corsair HX PSU. I was wondering If I would need to get a better PSU in order to run a GTX 460 with my 260 for PhysX.
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help
  1. I'm thinking you're going to be pushing it on that psu and I don't think the cost of upgrading the psu is going to be worth the performance boost. The only way it would be worth buying a new psu would be if you plan on buying another GTX 460 soon.
  2. I don't THINK you would need to, you can run SLI 460s on a Corsair 650w, I'm not sure how much wattage a card dedicated in Physx takes, but I can't see it taking too much.
  3. True, the op wouldn't be pushing the gtx 260 very hard. I didn't think of that, and his psu is pretty good.
  4. Best answer
    Yes,Corsair 620 should handle a GTX 460/GTS 250 without any problems
  5. Okay, that's good. I already need to upgrade my Mobo and was hoping not to also have to buy a new PSU.
  6. Are you upgrading your mobo just for this? If you will probably be dissapointed because you'll see a minor performance boost in the few games that use physx. The majority of games you'll see no boost at all.
  7. My mobo only has PCI-Express 16x slot, so I am trying to prepare for when I do go SLI.
  8. *only has one PCI-Express 16x*
  9. oh your good to go then. SLI'd gtx460's are a nice setup.
  10. Ya, looked like a nice way to go. Still gotta get together the funds.
  11. Just out of curiosity are you not happy with the performance of the GTX 460? I wouldn't do all this upgrading unless the GTX 460 is not performing well enough for you.
  12. No I have a GTX 260, and I am going to get a GTX 460 soon. I was just looking into the option of using the 260 as a PhysX card.
  13. I'd wait and see if the GTX 460 is good enough for you before you worry about buying a motherboard to accomodate a phsyx card which won't really even help that much, and only in certain titles.
  14. If you really want physX, why not sell the 260 and get a cheaper card to use as physX? You really won't lose any performance.
  15. Using a 260 as a PhysX card will just be temporary until I go SLI with 460's.
  16. Well I don't know where I should sell it or how much I should sell it for. Just easier to use it while it is still in the realm of good.
  17. Best answer selected by cascan07454.
  18. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Overclocking Gigabyte Corsair Graphics