Sign in with
Your question

Will this Run FSX Well

Last response: in CPUs
January 6, 2011 10:49:10 AM

I am looking to Buy a New Computer Tomorrow but I have seen mixed reviews on this Video Card. Here are the Specs Of the Computer I want to buy.

Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 CPU - 3.2 GHz base speed, turbo to 3.46 GHz; tested at 4.0 GHz
Intel Extreme CPU cooler, plus active northbridge cooler
Intel Desktop Board DX58SO "Smackover" - full ATX enthusiast motherboard, Socket 1366, triple-channel RAM up to 1866 MHz officially supported, two full PCIe 2.0 x16 slots with SLI and CrossFire support plus a PCIe 2.0 x4 slot that is open-ended capable of hosting a third graphics card, onboard Intel SATA plus third-party eSATA, onboard IEEE-1394 "FireWire", onboard High-Definition Audio, onboard Intel Gigabit Ethernet.
Crucial low-latency DDR3-1333 RAM with heatspreaders, 3x2 GB for 6 GB total - tested at 1600 MHz.
Antec Three Hundred chassis - Full ATX motherboard support, bottom-mount power supply, 140 mm speed-control fan on top, 2x120 mm speed-control fans on side panel and rear, mount points for two front-mount 120 mm fans. Front-panel audio and USB, 3 x 5.25" external drive bays, 6 x 3.5" internal drive bays.
Asus ATI Radeon 4870X2 video card w/ 2 GB video RAM
Enermax MODU 82+ 625W power supply with 4x8-pin PCIe power on modular cables, plus many other modular cables. More than enough to power the full system.
Dual Western Digital Raptor 10000 RPM hard drives, configured in RAID-0.
DVD RW drive.
Windows Vista Ultimate full retail plus Windows 7 Professional upgrade included.

I just want to make sure I don't waste my money and get heartbroken over thinking I will be able to finally run FSX and then it doesnt work. People have said that this card doesnt work with clouds and cripples the computer into low FPS. Can Anyone verify this?

Will These Specs run FSX Well or am I wasting my time?
Thanks So Much for taking the time to read!

More about : run fsx

a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 12:12:34 PM

I'm not sure that FSX really scales well beyond 2 cores (debate on this continues, might want to do a search for 'FSX cpu or gpu scaling', etc..., so, might want to consider a quad core saving $500 or so.....

From what I have read, the game seems poorly coded, and does not seem to scale well no matter what GPU or CPU you throw at it.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
January 6, 2011 12:38:34 PM

mdd1963 said:
I'm not sure that FSX really scales well beyond 2 cores (debate on this continues, might want to do a search for 'FSX cpu or gpu scaling', etc..., so, might want to consider a quad core saving $500 or so.....

From what I have read, the game seems poorly coded, and does not seem to scale well no matter what GPU or CPU you throw at it.

It does. The confusion comes because FSX was unable to support more than 2 CPU cores before the update.

The 965 IS a quad core.

FSX does not scale well beyond more than one graphics card.

FSX is also more CPU intensive. To an insane degree compared to other games.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 12:47:30 PM

965EE....only price i can find on Pricewatch is actually $100 more than 980x....
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 12:48:35 PM

Yes, FSX uses more than 2 cores (can use 32 cores right now)
See thread here (check out the links by CompuTronix)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274213-28-proposed-sy...
Also this
http://www.jetlinesystems.com/performance.html

FSX really doesn't work well with Crossfire,SLI or dual graphics chips on one graphics card.The latest best graphics card for FSX right now is the GTX 580.

You might want to consider the new Intel Sandy Bridge i7-2600K CPU and the LGA 1155 Platform due to be released in just a few days from now as it will be much less expensive than a i7 965 and LGA 1366 and will probably perform better as well (especially for FSX).
m
l
!