Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need an expert review on system

Last response: in Systems
October 10, 2010 1:56:38 PM

Hi! :hello: 

I'm new to system building, and I am planning on building my new Rig by myself.
Here is My Current PC
Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Processor
Intel D915GAV mobo
1.5Gb of DDR 400Mhz Ram
400Gb Samsung HDD
nVidia 512mb 8600GT(Inno 3D)
250W Standard issue psu
15'' ViewSonic CRT

This what I am planning to build
Intel Core i5 760
Intel DP55WB mobo
6GB DDR3 1333Mhz Ram
640Gb Seagate HDD
nVidia GTX 460 1GB(EVGA)
InWin Fanqua Casing + Commander 750W psu.
18.5'' Samsung LCD

I used my First System for more than 4 years, had no issues(Hardware) with it, even managed to play Modern Warfare 2 on it!! :) 
Here are my Questions,
Will this new Rig, have any hardware issues like performance drops or bottlenecks??
Are there any improvements that I should make before I continue?

More about : expert review system

a c 103 B Homebuilt system
a c 142 å Intel
October 10, 2010 3:27:13 PM

I suggest a P55 board from ASUS, MSI or Gigabyte instead of the Intel for good overclocking support.
A quality PSU from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic or XFX instead of the selected one. 450 - 500watts is enough for a single GPU and 650 for a SLI setup if that is in the plans down the road.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2010 3:40:49 PM

I'm not sure how much that PSU costs, but I'd suggest going for an OCZ ModXStream or StealthXStream 600w instead. They're both relatively cheap for what they are, but the Commander isn't available on NewEgg, so I don't have much to compare them to. My OCZ ModXStream 600 is rock solid, and hasn't had a single problem since I installed it.

I agree with rolli, go with an MSI or ASUS board instead of Intel. I know getting a board from the same person who makes the processor may sound good, but it will end up hurting you in the long run.

One last thing that I'm a little confused is getting 6GB of RAM on an LGA 1156 board. The last I checked, I think they take RAM in sets of two, so you'll either have to get 4 (2x2GB) or 8 (2 4GB Kits) gigs of memory, unless you want to get one 4gb kit and one 2gb kit which will give you 6gb while taking up all your slots. Your call... two 2gb sticks and two 1gb sticks should work just fine, though. I don't think you'd ever need more. Just be sure that both kits run at the same frequencies and timings.

Everything else looks good. I've never even seen that case on NewEgg before... I must have skipped over it... but it looks like a great deal for the price.
Related resources
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
a c 142 å Intel
October 10, 2010 3:45:00 PM

I mist the ram, you should be looking for a set of 2 x 2GB the 3 x 2GB is for LGA1366 boards which support triple channel.
m
l
October 11, 2010 2:52:07 AM

Sadly The PSUs mentioned by you guys are not available in my country(Believe me when I say it, Antec, Corsair, Seasonic are not available here )...... :(  I have no choice but to stick with it. But i'll try to go for a 600W version.
As for the Ram, I didn't know that, thanks for telling me!! I'll leave it at 4GB for now to keep the cost down :) 
As for the issue of over-clocking..... well I'm not that keen on it, can't take the risk of frying my mobo. :)  Thanks a lot both of you!!
m
l
October 11, 2010 2:52:26 AM

Best answer selected by 23dexter89.
m
l
!