Anybody used AM3 CPU on AM2 board successfully ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I'm trying to gather the people's experience who do it before.
So please note here everything about your operations!! (I know you may did somethings such as flashing bios or cmos and disabling cool&quiet to able to overclock or even reach to the CPU's true speed) and your result .
This will be very useful for me and others who wanna buy a AM3 CPU and spend a few time until they can upgrade whole PC.
(Do NOT say anything about this can't be!! because it is done before by many people)

ATHLON X2 4800+ ASUS M2N-E 2*1GB KINGSTON HyperX 800MHZ HD4850

many of the AM3 cpus might require 130 watts, which might be more than many AM2 boards can handle....

Get the right board, check MB manufacturer's website for supported/approved cpus...

The cpu fitting into the socket is not all that's involved....; also the issues of DDR2/3 and integrated memory controllers if memory serves....

You can run an AM2 in AM3, but not vice versa....

If you strongly disagree, it is your money....

^Click on the link above then say you can't run an AM3 cpu in an AM2 board, I have been for a long time.

The AM3 PII's have an onboard DDR2 and DDR3 memory controller so its happy with either.

I strongly disagree with just about everything you have posted, you cannot run an AM2 cpu in an AM3 board either. :pt1cable:

125W.

He has a board. And he mentioned what it is. Then someone linked him to the site you mention. And it supports all AM3 CPUs up to 125W.

Not this. But vice versa. Perhaps you are confusing it with the upcoming AM3+ where you can use AM3 in am3+ but not vice versa?

Issues? What do you mean "issues"?

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009

NO!!
because in the same am2 socket ,there are phenom 9850 and 9950 with 125w power.it is the same power of even phenom2 X6 1100t !!!
However I found out something new from my board's page on the ASUS website:
Now I can use ddr2 1066!! IS this some kind of miracle? anyway what will happen if I use my 2*800mhz on slot 1&3 and 2*1066 on slot 2&4? Will IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) like it or not!!? Increase performance or decrease ?

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
you don't get it man.
AM3 chips will not run on AM2 board, now there are cases of BIOS updates that make changes to allow AM3 chips
but I am yet to have verified that for myself.
AM2+ boards can run AM3 chips with DDR2 RAM, 1066MHz to be exact.
some AM2 boards can run first generation Phenom chips (Phenom x3 and x4) and they do not necessarily have to be AM2+ boards.
the resaon for that is the amount of VRAM that the particular motherboard has, 8mb of VRAM is the minimal amount for the first class Phenom chips
and stronger AM2 boards have this amount while weaker AM2 boards only have 4mb of VRAM and that's a hindrance.

I'm So sorry for you MAN. because of these links!!
You better have look around this forum!!
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100828004819897&board_id=1&model=M2N-E&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

And better check the cpu list from the MY board's page as i linked down!

http://ae.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=NFlvt10av3F7ayQ9&templete=2

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009

I LOVE YOU Enzo!! and thanks for supporting me!!

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
THAT'S AN AM2+ BOARD..!

so basically it can work but you have been saying AM2 this entire time.
Not AM2+..
(facepalm to you sir)
This was a AM2 board !!. I can picture my board's box if you don't believe me!!
This is the point . every am2 borad is an am2+ board now!! On that time there wasn't am2+ and now companies see that is no problem maker difference between am2 and am2+ !!
NOW it's calling " [ am2/am2+ ]"

every am2 cpu can work on am2+ and every am2+ cpu can work on am2 socket.
but it's not about am3 I know. but they made some bios upgrade that helps to work an am3 Cpu on am2/am2+ board.
but obviously an am2/am2+ CPU can't work on an am3 board because this cpu doesn't support ddr3 ram and the only memories that are supported by am3 borads is ddr3!

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
even my boad's box says I can only use 800 mhz and I used to watch that note in Asus website.and now!! what happend? Today I am able to use 1066 rams. oh god thanks a lot. you just saved my a**. they were not taking about it untill ddr2 rams is almost out dated! and this is their trick !!

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I'm just saying maybe there will be a basic difference between am2/am2+ socket and board with am3 but this i not between am2 and am2+. they will do almost the same job.
this the asus's note:
Supports AMD Socket AM2+/AM2 for Phenom FX/Phenom/ Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 / Sempron
The motherboard supports AMD socket AM2+/AM2 for Phenom FX/Phenom/Athlon 64/ Sempron/Athlon 64 X2/ Athlon 64 FX/ processors with 2MB / 1MB / 512KB L2 cache, which is based on 64-bit architecture.It features 2000 MT/s HyperTransport1.0 Bus, dual-channel un-buffered DDR2 1066 (AM2+) and DDR2 800 (AM2) memories support and AMD Cool ´n´ Quiet! Technology.

Intresting thing is on the CPU support list that they added almost all amd CPUs on that list!!
Maybe tomorrow they will say this board support hyper tranport2!!

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
You asked about running an AM3 cpu on your board I said you could.

You asked about other peoples experience of doing so I told you about my setup.

Then the *** just went crazy, I don't understand what the issue is now, every time I search for your board it comes up as an AM2 board, the bios update says it supports PII's, why can't you run the memory at 800mhz and tighten the timings up, I run mine at 800mhz with tighter timing options and get better benches than running it 1066mhz.

UUUUUUUUUUGH WATCHA GONNA DO??
52yccmmjzxdlzjdc.jpg

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Just Joking.
Anyway all of these notes are usefull. But you still don't get it. maybe one of you done it (use am3 cpu on am2/am2+ socket) easily and didn't have any problems. but I know there will be unbelievable problems like this:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20100306091632015&board_id=1&model=M2N-E&page=1&count=38
as you can see he was not able to do this with my board. but in that forum there are some people that they can were able and some had strange problems. so I'm still waiting to those people's experience that have some mistakes or bad luck and I'm wondering how they did solve it and waht happend.

Why don't you try it yourself, your problems may be different to others anyway, then maybe you could help others.
The Asus site has details of how to get the cpu to work, follow them and stop worrying about what might happen.
snickers_01.jpg

teflon2287

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
It is totally possible to run an AM3 CPU in an AM2 (NOT AM2+) board.....

I am currently running:
Phenom II x4 945 in a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 with DDR2 RAM @ 800 MHz...

You just need to check your motherboard's compatability list.....

Status
Not open for further replies.