Sign in with
Your question

Extended partition of External Hard Disk

Last response: in Storage
January 19, 2013 6:11:50 AM

Hello,
Good Day sir,
I'd like to create extended partition of Ex-hard disk.But I can't do that.Advice me,please.
Thanks & Best regards
a c 79 G Storage
January 19, 2013 7:09:33 AM

To create another partition of any kind you first have to make room for it.
You can only create a partition if there is some "unallocated space" to create it in.

Go into Disk Management and see if you can "Shrink Volume" on the external drive to create some unallocated space. Then right-click on that and see what options are available.

You can have up to four primary partitions on a hard drive before you have to make an extended partition to create logical partitions in.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 22, 2013 5:00:10 AM

as has been stated, you can create partition in that way.
I assume you already meet the condition of "up to four primary partitions on a hard drive" so you asked you want to create a extended partition. If that, you may need to backup your data and then delete one of the primary partition, recreate a logical partition instead of it.

Here is a source data backup freeware: http://download.cnet.com/AOMEI-Data-Backuper/3000-2242_...
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 22, 2013 5:56:15 AM

Minno said:
Hello,
Good Day sir,
I'd like to create extended partition of Ex-hard disk.But I can't do that.Advice me,please.
Thanks & Best regards

You system is Windows 7? As I know, there's a little different between Windows 7 and XP on creating partition.
In xp when you select an unallocated space to create partition, the system may ask you to create it as "primary" or "extended" (logical partition). However, in Windows 7 there's no option to do this, on a single disk, the first three partitions which you created may be automatic selected as the primary partition, and the last partition you create may be set as "extended partition". This is the reason why you could not create extended partition of ex-hard disk.

To solve this partition, you need other partition software which offers you select create primary partition or extended partition (logical partition). Such as Gparted, AOMEI Partition Assistant, and etc, you could free download them from CNET.

Here I find a video tutorial about this, hope it could help you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwT133i-ql0
m
l
May 5, 2014 7:15:02 PM

Two solutions are for you:
1). Back up all important data well, open Disk Management, shrink or delete the partition with free space and right click the unallocated space to create a new partition there.
2). But, if this doesn’t work for you, you may also try some partition resizing tools online, like GParted, IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free and EaseUS Partition Master, etc. They all are designed to help users resize partition space freely.
Always remember to firstly back up all important data in case of data loss.
m
l
!