Sign in with
Your question

RAID0 volume lists failed, probably OK physically, what to do?

Last response: in Storage
January 19, 2013 7:15:15 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a secondary storage RAID0 volume (I know, I know...) of two 2TB HDDs. It's not an OS volume. I got new SSDs for my OS, so I went to reinstall Win7 on my new RAID (while keeping the secondary storage volume).

Win7 installer gave an error about not being able to install to my new volume, saying it might not be bootable. I solved this eventually by explicitly adding my new volume to the boot order.

But before I solved it, I tried changing the SATA mode to AHCI in BIOS (based on some post's recommendation) and re-entering the Win7 installer. When that didn't help (and I realized that disables the RAID), I switched it back to RAID mode. When I then rebooted out of the BIOS, the Intel RAID tool started listing my secondary storage raid (the two 2TB HDDs) as FAILED and not bootable. Those are the exact steps I followed, and all of the steps I followed before encountering the problem.

Some info I've gleaned so far:

In Intel RAID tool on boot, it shows that one of the 2TB drives is not a member of the RAID0 volume.

In Windows Explorer, it shows up as drive D (4TB) but is not accessible. In Windows disk Management, I see Disk 1 as my OS volume, Disk 2 as 4TB of unallocated space, and Disk 3 as drive D (4TB RAW).

TestDisk sees a 4TB volume and a single 2TB volume. Aiming TestDisk at the "4TB" D drive gets I/O errors (probably because the controller is not letting that volume talk to the 2nd drive).

Any ideas how I can or should proceed?

Thank you!
a b G Storage
January 19, 2013 3:00:59 PM

vehementi said:
Hi everyone,

I have a secondary storage RAID0 volume (I know, I know...) of two 2TB HDDs. It's not an OS volume. I got new SSDs for my OS, so I went to reinstall Win7 on my new RAID (while keeping the secondary storage volume).

Win7 installer gave an error about not being able to install to my new volume, saying it might not be bootable. I solved this eventually by explicitly adding my new volume to the boot order.

But before I solved it, I tried changing the SATA mode to AHCI in BIOS (based on some post's recommendation) and re-entering the Win7 installer. When that didn't help (and I realized that disables the RAID), I switched it back to RAID mode. When I then rebooted out of the BIOS, the Intel RAID tool started listing my secondary storage raid (the two 2TB HDDs) as FAILED and not bootable. Those are the exact steps I followed, and all of the steps I followed before encountering the problem.

Some info I've gleaned so far:

In Intel RAID tool on boot, it shows that one of the 2TB drives is not a member of the RAID0 volume.

In Windows Explorer, it shows up as drive D (4TB) but is not accessible. In Windows disk Management, I see Disk 1 as my OS volume, Disk 2 as 4TB of unallocated space, and Disk 3 as drive D (4TB RAW).

TestDisk sees a 4TB volume and a single 2TB volume. Aiming TestDisk at the "4TB" D drive gets I/O errors (probably because the controller is not letting that volume talk to the 2nd drive).

Any ideas how I can or should proceed?

Thank you!

If you have done nothing to the drives, simply reestablish the array in the RAID utility, just as you did the first time, reboot to the regular BIOS, make sure the array is showing, there should be a setting somewhere to set the array for storage or bootable, and then make sure the array is in the boot order, if it was bootable. If you did not damage any data on the array, it should be back just the way it was.
m
l
January 20, 2013 3:45:58 PM

Disaster!

As in the instructions, I recreated the RAID volume and TestDisk successfully detected the partition and wrote it back into the metadata. I fixed the boot sector as in the next step, and rebooted.

However, something must have been offset by some value, and chkdisk ran on start up and saw errors everywhere and corrupted everything when it tried to reconstruct the file metadata.

I ended up with BMPs like this: http://i.imgur.com/WhPilYi.jpg (imgur JPG'd it). It's almost like I recreated the RAID volume with the wrong stripe size, but I definitely created it correctly.

My only thought is that the drives are in the wrong order. I've recreated the RAID again with the drives apparently in the reverse order, and I'll repeat my above steps overnight (the chkdsk sabotage took 14 hours).
m
l
a b G Storage
January 20, 2013 7:04:21 PM

yes I've had chkdsk total screw up files on a raid before. so frustrating I know. not much you can do about it I think. but if you have a win, let me know!!!
m
l
January 24, 2013 12:33:36 AM

So, no luck so far... I powered down and switched the SATA cables and hoped the drives would appear in the reverse order in the intel matrix tool, and they did. I then reset the drives to non RAID and then re created the RAID volume with exactly the same parameters.

When I boot into windows, it doesn't show it as a drive (expected at this point). Then I load up checkdisk and find the partition and write it back and reboot.

Now after the intel matrix raid tool runs (saying my raid is OK), it hangs at a black screen and the POST screen never comes.

Any ideas?
m
l
November 10, 2013 1:16:34 PM

Hi, I have a simillar issue and my Raid0 has faild due a bluescreen crash.
My Raid information is shown as following image

My data is very important to me. Would you please help me to find out the issue and fix it.
Thank you
m
l
!