Is there an MAC OS emulator for PC?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 8, 2005 8:24:04 PM

Wondering if there is an enmulator to run a Mac OS on a PIII laptop??

Cheers

MG

**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending -thanks!!

More about : mac emulator

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 8, 2005 8:24:05 PM

MG wrote:

> Wondering if there is an enmulator to run a Mac OS on a PIII laptop??

For some versions of MacOS there is an emulator but you need a copy of the
Mac ROMs.

Won't run OSX though.

Is there a particular problem you're trying to solve?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Hi MG,

There are two that I know of, though only one is available at the moment and is apparently slow (PearPC - but read the developer's comments on the website). There is also considerable controversy abou the other (CherryOS) in that there has been no demo yet and there are claims that it "borrows" heavily from PearOS.

Here are the links to both:

Cherry OS: http://www.cherryos.com/ - shareware

PearPC: http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/ -freeware. I haven't tried this, so can't comment on how well it runs. It appears that it will emulate G3 architecture on a PC.

Good luck,

MP

Wondering if there is an enmulator to run a Mac OS on a PIII laptop??

Cheers

MG

**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending -thanks!!

[comp.sys.laptops]
a b D Laptop
January 9, 2005 2:25:14 PM

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 17:24:04 GMT, 100550.3170@compuserve.com (MG)
wrote:

>Wondering if there is an enmulator to run a Mac OS on a PIII laptop??
>
>Cheers
>
>MG

Have a look at PearPC:

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/

Much more information is here:

http://www.pearpc.net/

I spent some time tinkering with this a month or so ago, and was
surprised to find that it is approaching usability. I was able to get
Mac OSX running fairly decently on my Thinkpad T30 which is a 2.4 Ghz
Pentium 4. Earlier versions of PearPC were reputed to be agonizingly
slow.

The version I tried was downloaded from this site, which offers
nightly builds of this work in progress:

http://richardgoodwin.com/mb/index.php?option=com_conte...

I don't know if your PIII processor would give reasonable
performance with this very demanding application.

Soames

"Never mind world peace, visualize using your turn signal"
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 9, 2005 2:25:15 PM

Hemlock Soames wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 17:24:04 GMT, 100550.3170@compuserve.com (MG)
> wrote:
>
>>Wondering if there is an enmulator to run a Mac OS on a PIII laptop??
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>MG
>>
> Have a look at PearPC:
>
> http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/
>
> Much more information is here:
>
> http://www.pearpc.net/
>
> I spent some time tinkering with this a month or so ago, and was
> surprised to find that it is approaching usability. I was able to get
> Mac OSX running fairly decently on my Thinkpad T30 which is a 2.4 Ghz
> Pentium 4. Earlier versions of PearPC were reputed to be agonizingly
> slow.

That is exceedingly cool. I may give this a shot. Learn something every
day.

!