Ati 5970 or Evga GTX480 SC?

Hey guys,

Every year I get a nice little bonus at work. Normally I use that bonus to update something big on my gaming rig. I figured why not go over the top and get the fastest gpu money can buy.

I currently have a Evga gtx295. So I guess the real question is should I get a Ati 5970? or a Evga GTX480 SC?

I've heard good things about both. I currently have a 5970 in my rig a friend let me borrow. I've noticed some big fps increases in some games over my gtx295. Mainly the new ff mmo, age of Conan, wow and battlefield bad company 2.

So should I buy a 5970 or a 480?

I don't care about brand, I want whatever is the fastest. Also I hear some games don't support dual gpus very well. Is that a good reason to get a 480?

Thanks for the help guys
10
answers
Last reply
More about 5970 evga gtx480
  1. ninfanlink said:
    Hey guys,

    Every year I get a nice little bonus at work. Normally I use that bonus to update something big on my gaming rig. I figured why not go over the top and get the fastest gpu money can buy.

    I currently have a Evga gtx295. So I guess the real question is should I get a Ati 5970? or a Evga GTX480 SC?

    I've heard good things about both. I currently have a 5970 in my rig a friend let me borrow. I've noticed some big fps increases in some games over my gtx295. Mainly the new ff mmo, age of Conan, wow and battlefield bad company 2.

    So should I buy a 5970 or a 480?

    I don't care about brand, I want whatever is the fastest. Also I hear some games don't support dual gpus very well. Is that a good reason to get a 480?

    Thanks for the help guys



    seems the benchmark like ATI in FFXIV for now but in the real beta game, I heard nVidia run better. Do you want to try 3D in FF someday later? then should get 480.
  2. I dont really think i will be playing a lot of the new ff game. I guess im just looking for the overall fastest card. I know some games run better using ati over nvidia.
  3. Why don't you get the ACTUAL fastest card money can buy.... The ASUS Ares 5870x2.... It IS the fastest card on the market.

    XD

    What motherboard do you have? You could get an SLI or CF setup that will destroy either of those cards...

    Games support dual GPUs now, its not 2006 anymore.

    I have NEVER had any problem with dual GPUs and I've been using mine since 2008, also I play old games like Tribes, Starcarft I, Civilzation Call to Power, Alice.
  4. Agreed with Helltech. Bonus doesn't come everyday and it's always good to save some and still get the fastest setup by going SLI/Crossfire.
  5. Well i've never been a big fan of two cards. I would rather get the fastest single gpu.
  6. Well 5970 technically is 5870x2 running in 5850x2(clocks) which makes it also a "dual" gpu card.

    I guess your options would be either the 5870 or the gtx480. From the two, gtx480 is faster. :)
  7. The fastest single GPU is a GTX 480. I would recommend this as you won't have to worry about crossfire profiles like you do with the HD5970.
  8. deweycd said:
    The fastest single GPU is a GTX 480. I would recommend this as you won't have to worry about crossfire profiles like you do with the HD5970.


    The fastest GPU however, is a 5970 by far. Destroys the GTX480 in 95% of benchmarks (Heaven 2.0, cough cough). As OP said he owned a GTX295, a dual-card single GPU would suit his needs. And no, you don't have to worry about crossfire profiles because a he's not getting 2 single 5850 or 5870s.
  9. AsianJetlag said:
    The fastest GPU however, is a 5970 by far. Destroys the GTX480 in 95% of benchmarks (Heaven 2.0, cough cough). As OP said he owned a GTX295, a dual-card single GPU would suit his needs. And no, you don't have to worry about crossfire profiles because a he's not getting 2 single 5850 or 5870s.

    The 5970 is a dual GPU card, so it cannot hold the title of the fasted GPU because it has two of them and each one on their own are not the fasted GPU's out there.
  10. Don't forget the GTX480 offers PhysX, while the 5970 does not. For those who do play games that feature PhysX (Unreal Tournament III for me), it is a real kick!

    The GTX480 bios and drivers have matured much over the past several months, and companies are coming out with custom versions. Be sure to look into the MSI GTX480 Lightning with the Twin Frozr II cooler, or the Galaxy GTX480 Superoverclock with the Arctic Cooling Acelero Extreme cooler.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards EVGA ATI Graphics