I am asking a similar question about (playing world of warcraft andsc2

Itzsfo0

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Well, I have a 5 year old desktop PC (Dell XPS 410) its a Pentium IIII (last gen) 3.2 ghz (single core processor) only 1gig ram, 100gig HD, old 15" CRT Dell Monitor (non HD, Non Widescreen) basically it runs wow (but in lowest settings, all settings toned down, which honestly I don't mind - ironically I bought the PC in 2005 (early 2005) just 3-4 mon ths after WOW's north american release (so I can run wow) since my PC (prior) was built in 2000 and was 5 years old (at that point in 2005 when I bought this Dell XPS 410). Now its October 2010. I still play WoW (same account, same sever) on all minimum settings (max terrain distance, etc, etc) most of the [] check boxes (for specific graphic enhancers are not checked) as my old 256meg nvidia geforce 420 MX cannot do anything but run the game (then again, I do get a steady 50-60fps even in dalaran during peak-hours of the day) so all is well (for the most part). But meh, I have about 1,300.00 (aside in a bank account) saved up over the last several months (now that most of my important bills are paid off, inlcuding final car payments, etc). I can now afford a Dell (custom-built) XPS (once again I wa nna go with the XPS series) I have customized on dell.com (a 9100 XPS System/Desktop)

System settings/PC specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel i7-960 (8mb L2 cache, 3.20 ghz)
Memory: 9GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333mhz - 4 dimm's
Monitor: 21.5" STL2220L Full HD Widescreen
Video Card: ATI Radeon 1GB HD 5670 GDDR5
Hard Drive: 1TB 7200 RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16mb Cache
Optical Drive: Dual-Drive Blu-ray Combo, 6X (Blu-Ray) 16x (DVD/CD-RW) w/double-layer
Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series (Multimedia) speaker system w/ subwoofer
WiFi Card: Dell 1525 Wireless-N PCIe Card
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Gaming Desktop MK520
Mouse: (Wireless Optical included in package/logitech MK320)
Sound Card: Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Modem: External 56k fax/telephone USB modem
TV Tuner: Hauppauge HVR1250 hybrid TV tuner w/ remote control

Not that I need anyones real opinion on whether this desktop (at those specific specs) "could" or "would" run WOW, SC2, Crysis, etc, etc (especially the earlier of the 2, SC2/WOW - LOL - I can run those games (of course at minimum settings with my current nearly 6 year old Dell XPS 410 desktop (sc2 barely, wow in mininum settings with a perfect Frame rate. But I'm sure I can run World Of Warcraft (Cataclysm updated 4.0.1 patch) as of december 2010 in nearly all settings maxed (and still run the game like butter with a 50-55 frame rate in peak hours in capitol cities and/or heroic 5/10/25 mans. or AV/ (or any other random PVP for that matter).

Mind you, I also have a Comcast Digital Cable Internet Connection and am running somewhere between 9mbps (on average) (digi-com-cast) 69.99 a month for the internet + 4-port cable modem/router (all-in-1) wireless N (miMo technology) from linksys

The computer that is listed above is customized as of todays posting (october 9. 2010) saturday - and it will cost me just a bit more then 1,469.99 (total w/ shipping and handeling as I have already added to shopping, cart and in the process of doing checkout)

was just wondering though - as I seen another posting from an individual (who listed alot less, specifically with the specifics of his customization). I have done my research (to an extent as well).

Obviously you could build your own system more effective, so I won't go into the pre-built vs homebuild system.

First off, I'd recommend a few changes. You don't need more than 4GB's of RAM, and at least 3GB's.

You probably would be just as happy with your performance with an i5 system vs the i7 and save you money (given the dual channel memory, I assume you meant an i7 860).

I don't know if you have any use for the TV tuner, if you don't, you might see about a system without it. No need to pay for what you don't use. Same with the modem.

The only thing in the system that is going to cause less than optimal performance is the video card. If you can cut out what I mentioned above, perhaps you can put that money towards a 5770 or 460. Or even better.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Looks like a very high end system with a pretty low end video card. It doesn't make much sense to me to pay 1500 bucks for a system with a sub 100 dollar video card in it. You can probably run WOW maxed with that setup, and come close on SC2, but your video card isn't going to cut it in crysis above medium.

Looks like a very high end system with a pretty low end video card. It doesn't make much sense to me to pay 1500 bucks for a system with a sub 100 dollar video card in it. You can probably run WOW maxed with that setup, and come close on SC2, but your video card isn't going to cut it in crysis above medium.

People always underestimate what WoW needs to play maxed.

That card won't play any of those games maxed. Although you could compromise and drop a few settings to get WoW to play well, same with SC2.

For $1,300 you can build a stellar gaming PC these days. Sure buying a pre-built from Dell is a lot easier, but it's also a rip off. LOL Yeah you get a warranty and such, but quite frankly paying for a sound card upgrade in that package is a complete waste. So is 9GB of DDR3 though. A total of 4-6GB of RAM is plenty for gaming purposes.

Additions like the TV_Tuner with Remote.... do you really need that? If not, I can almost promise you Dell is charging an arm and a leg for it.

Now, the ATI 5670 is a decent little video card, but it's fairly weak compared to the i7-960 CPU that you're putting into that setup. Not a very good balance. You could spend less on the CPU and more on the GPU and have a much better experience.

I don't really feel it's needed to say a Dell system is a rip off. It can be a waste of money if you can build it yourself. You can also find yourself buying things you don't need, but that goes with any prebuilt system. Dell does at least let you customize things. Dell doesn't work for free, you do have to expect them to charge more than it would for us to build one ourself.

Dell has a purpose. To sell to those who don't know enough themselves.

Those who come to thise site, generally know enough, but not always.

Here's an example Gaming PC Build:

i5-760 $208
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115067

ATI 5850 (MSI TwinFrozr II 1 GB) $245
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127500&cm_re=ATI_5850-_-14-127-500-_-Product

EVGA P55V Micro ATX 2way SLI $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188064

Mushkin Enhanced DDR3-1333 4GB $72
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226092

Antec 300 Case $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

OCZ 550W 80 Plus PSU $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

Samsung EcoGreen 1TB Hard Drive $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152173

LG Blu-Ray Burner $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136181

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium OEM $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

Asus 21.5" 1080P LCD Monitor $175
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236051

$1,170 Total

Buy a Keyboard & Mouse and some decent speakers and you're set. This would give you a MUCH better video card, and likely a better quality build over all, allowing for more upgrades in the future.

If you go ahead with the Dell order, there's a couple places you could easily save money if you don't need them, or aren't set in having to have them. :) This is assuming they are upgrades that they're charging you extra for.

Processor: Intel i7-960 (8mb L2 cache, 3.20 ghz)
Memory: 9GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333mhz - 4 dimm's (Less RAM would be fine. 4-6GB is good)
Optical Drive: Dual-Drive Blu-ray Combo, 6X (Blu-Ray) 16x (DVD/CD-RW) w/double-layer

If you go ahead with the Dell order, there's a couple places you could easily save money if you don't need them, or aren't set in having to have them. :) This is assuming they are upgrades that they're charging you extra for.

Processor: Intel i7-960 (8mb L2 cache, 3.20 ghz) - I'd recommend going with an i5 or i7 930 if you really want an i7 system
Memory: 9GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333mhz - 4 dimm's (Less RAM would be fine. 4-6GB is good)

Looking at the cost of i7 960's, I'd also advise backing that off as well.

The WiFi card may be something he wants/needs, but are pretty inexpensive to buy.

Looking at the cost of i7 960's, I'd also advise backing that off as well.

The WiFi card may be something he wants/needs, but are pretty inexpensive to buy.

Whole heartedly agree with the CPU, which is why I had priced out the i5-760 in my build option for the OP. The i7-960 is fairly ridiculous price wise. :(

So far as the WiFi card, I'm certainly not a fan of those for desktops. Not for someone who's playing MMOs. WiFi can create a lot of latency problems.

First off, kudos for making that old PC last as long as you did.
Second of all, if you are at all inclined to do so, building your own PC has many advantages, including lower price, ability to easily fix / upgrade in the future, a sense of accomplishment, higher quality...
BUT, considering the investment in time, lack of warranty [service], etc. I also understand that buying a pre-built may be appealing for some. Just be sure to be selective. You might check out the pre-built CyberPower machines that Newegg has. Dell would not be as large and successful as it is if it sold garbage, but their prices are a lot higher than they need to be.
I also agree with previous comments about the lack of balance in that Dell. The CPU is way too powerful, and the GPU too weak, relative to each other. Four or Six GB of RAM is enough, depending on whether you get dual- or triple-channel RAM. Unless you're an audiophile, mobo onboard sound is sufficient.
Change the CPU to an i5/750 and the GPU to a HD5770, GTX460, or HD5850 (in order of increasing power).