Sign in with
Your question

Can i upgrade my cpu without a new cpu cooler?

Last response: in CPUs
January 6, 2011 3:27:54 PM

Hey guys.

so im basicly upgrading my computer, got rid of my 8800 gtx grahpic card and got myself a radeon hd 6970 and stuff, but now i want to get rid of my CPU aswell. i have an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz in atm, upgrading it to a Core2Quad Q8400 2660MHz, i've no clue on which CPU cooler it is. but it is as old as that CPU i got in now. does an old CPU cooler be able to handel a quad core or shall i invest more money on a new cooler aswell? so my fears is that the CPU cooler now wont fit or will make my new CPU blow up because it's too old to handel the newer stuff.

thanks

More about : upgrade cpu cpu cooler

a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 3:31:47 PM

the new cpu should come with a new cpu cooler
January 6, 2011 3:33:47 PM

what do you mean? like in the box with the new CPU which i've ordered or that i should buy a new one?
Related resources
January 6, 2011 3:39:19 PM

It comes in the box.
January 6, 2011 3:44:28 PM

ohh cool, thanks. saves me a lot of trouble/money.
January 6, 2011 4:00:13 PM

Make sure you read the instructions that come with it when you install it. Newer coolers often require you to take out your motherboard and mount the CPU to it unlike the older ones. It would probably be better read how to do it online rather than the instructions if you're not sure. Make sure you have a good enough power supply for your new CPU.
!