Sign in with
Your question

My Harddrive is all of the suddenly really slow, read and write speed

Last response: in Storage
January 19, 2013 12:41:43 PM

Hi All,

I have a Seagate Expansion Drive that has been working well for the past year or two, but today I transferred about 3GB of photos to it, and it was fine but then when I tried transferring those photos off again everything was super slow (about 30kb/s, usually about 10-30mb/s). Additionally many of the photos wouldn't even transfer off, saying the data could not be read...

I thought it might be the photo files being corrupt but then when I tried deleting this old game file that I've used frequently a few months back, it was taking forever to delete/would always stay stuck at the "calculating" stage.

Overall I think the entire drive is super slow at reading now... writing seems fine.

I also tried running Disk Defrag and the first time I ran it it took forever to analyze but then I canceled (which took a while) and ran it again and it said 0% fragmented... no idea if this is relevant.

Thanks for your help!
January 19, 2013 12:48:53 PM

Just realize I said really slow read and write speed. Sorry, Just read speed I believe...
a b G Storage
January 19, 2013 12:56:09 PM

First update and run a full scan with your anti-virus software. Then download and update malwarebytes. Run a full scan with that, too. Let us know the results and if you're still having trouble we'll make more suggestions.
Related resources
January 19, 2013 1:58:48 PM

Malwarebytes found a malicious software, PUP.bundleInstaller.bt, removed it but drive is still slow...
January 19, 2013 11:00:24 PM

Update: so apparently it's one folder of images that are really slow... if I plug in my external drive and don't touch that one folder with images in it, everything else works fine. but if i touch that one folder, everything (as in everything in that harddrive, and even My Computer) becomes slow...

but it's not a virus because the card was reformatted before I took photos, and then I took photos using my DSLR, and transferred the photos from the SD card onto my external, all without problem. only after I tried to access the photos again did everything slow down...

unfortunately I don't know if the problem is in the photos themselves or the transfer process because I reformatted my SD card already...

does someone have a recommendation / suggestion as to what the problem is and how I can salvage the photos that won't transfer? (they won't transfer because when I try to do so it says " Can't read from the source file or disk " which also takes forever because of the slow speed)
January 21, 2013 10:14:26 PM

Does not... It's a seagate expansion... (and not expansion portable).

Anyone else any help?
!