Solved

Building help

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Cases
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 11, 2010 1:11:40 AM

So today i tried putting together my first build. I followed the step by step guild i found on this site as closely as possible... but it didn't work out too well. When it came to connecting the case fans ( CM storm scout), i found cables that had either 4 pins or two. My psu (700w ocz fatality) had cables that were one end molex and the other 4 pin female... so i kinda fitted the 4 pin case fan into it, but the two pin ones wont fit into these.... where do i put them?

After that i decided to just see if everything else was functioning... but the computer wouldn't even boot. It does'nt seem like powers getting through and im almost certain ive connected everything to the right place other than the case fans.

Any help would be much appreciated

More about : building

October 11, 2010 1:26:52 AM

I find the manuals arent very descriptive, might just be cause im not too familiar with everything... The PSU had a 4 pin and an 8 pin, i connected the 4 pin and left the 8 pin inside... thats supposed to happen right? (1st step)
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2010 1:50:47 AM

If the 4-pin connector fit properly then yes that is fine.

that 700W OCZ was discontinued I think for quality reasons... but finish the checklist first.
m
l
October 11, 2010 5:15:59 PM

Thanks prox i got it working :) 
Only thing is I cant figure out how the fans work, any ideas? Only the one thats four pinned and connected to the psu through a molex cable works, the other two i dont see where to put cause there two pronged and the cables that came with the PSU are all four.
m
l
October 11, 2010 9:02:09 PM

They should be three pronged? Doesn't that case come with a fan controller they plug into? I know there is an LED switch to control the lights on the fans.
m
l
October 11, 2010 10:11:40 PM

Only two pronged... 2 wires, one yellow one black. Theres two of these along with one 4 pronged one
m
l
October 11, 2010 11:55:17 PM

are these supposed to connect to the mobo or the psu?
m
l
October 12, 2010 12:02:13 AM

MB to the fans.
m
l
October 12, 2010 12:17:02 AM

The system fan slot on my mobo looks male... and 3 pronged.. The fan wire is male also? :S
m
l
October 12, 2010 12:54:49 AM

You need to look at the fans more closely. The two pronged connections are very likely the LED connections and they hook into the LED controller on the front panel. Those two fans should ALSO have seperate molex or 3-pin power connections.
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:12:06 AM

This might just be me but i dont see any 3 pin, i see a lose cable that looks like esata and cant quite figure out what its for (when i got the case there were multiple wires tied together) Also im not quite sure what you mean when you say their for the LED controller... isnt that the button on the front panel? I dont see a separate device in the case to which i could connect the wires to.
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:16:58 AM

Look at the LED fans. These are the two fans that are not black. The black one on the top is NOT LED. These two fans should EACH have two sets of wires coming from them. One cable will go to the LED button on the front panel, the other cable is for the fan motor itself. Can you see both cables?
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:24:42 AM

It looks like four wires leave the fan, two are the 2 pronged cables and the others ive connected to the motherboard ( they were labeled LED + LED - )
m
l

Best solution

October 12, 2010 3:21:07 AM

Well, grab a simple Molex to 3-pin adapter and shove the wires in if you have to then :) 

October 12, 2010 3:30:22 AM

LOL shoving the wires into the 4 pronged ones actually worked... who woulda known :p  Thanks so much
m
l
October 12, 2010 3:30:34 AM

Best answer selected by beeboy18.
m
l
!