Sign in with
Your question

Usb flash drive write protected cannot format

Last response: in Storage
January 19, 2013 3:10:49 PM

My 4 Gb sandisk pendrive is detecting . but cannot use ie. copy, create file etc. I cannot format the pendrive.

sreejith
June 20, 2013 4:55:51 AM

Only solution that worked for me is :

CMD -> Attrib -h -r -s /s /d G:/*.* (use your drive letter instead of G)

July 19, 2013 1:23:54 AM

sreejithpba said:
My 4 Gb sandisk pendrive is detecting . but cannot use ie. copy, create file etc. I cannot format the pendrive.

sreejith

Related resources
July 19, 2013 1:25:00 AM

Primo Solutions said:

July 19, 2013 2:18:30 AM

You may check whether it is corrupted or locked. sometimes it will be not accessible if it is locked.
October 2, 2013 2:45:48 AM

Primo Solutions said:

Hello,

I have HP-16 GB Flash Drive and for last 3 days trying different methods to Format it like:
1. Regedit ---> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies. Change the value for the key "WriteProtect" to 0
2. Through MS DOS in the Computer Startup.
3. Through Disk Management.
4. HP USB Drive Format Tool.
5. and now the solution you posted. but still got no luck :(  .

every time it gives the same error "The Disk is Write Protected"

Any other Clue???

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sidhu
November 20, 2013 1:35:14 AM

i had the same problem and i downloaded hirens boot cd 10.2,boot up with the cd with the usb plugged in, selected partition tool, smart fdisk the deleted the partition,pressed enter to save the changes,then took out the usb put it in a pc then right clicked computer went to manage then disk management then created a new simple partition:) 

hope that helps
November 20, 2013 2:02:48 AM

wipe data
November 20, 2013 2:50:21 AM

tomeedison said:
wipe data

yeah i wipe everything since i wasnt able to put anything in it or delete
March 19, 2014 5:29:01 PM

If the problem is persistent with the drive and you still can't copy files to it or format it after:-

1- You tried removing read-only permission from the drive properties
2- You tried formatting from Windows
3- You tried formatting from CMD using DISKPART
4- You tried editing the Registry solution (for WriteProtect word)
5- You tried the different free online tools like HDD LL Format tool and HP Format Tool

Then your drive is corrupt and needs the internal chipset S/W to be flashed, i.e. repairing the USB software. The steps below will lead you to get a small program to run on your USB memory-stick which is specific to your MANUFACTURER (make) and PRODUCT (model). If you don't want to go through the headache of the manufacturer's technical support then do it yourself as follows (which I source from here):-
1- Get Chip Genius portable application from here which you will use to find the VID and PID of the USB stick chip.
2- Search for the tool to repair your USB stick S/W from FlashBoot website . Search using your VID and PID from the previous step.
3- Search on Google for the name of the application you find in the "UTILS" column in the page from step 2 and the first link on Google Results (usually) will take you back to the FlashBoot website to download the utility to get your USB drive repaired.

It worked for me for my Kingston Data Traveler flash drive. It didn't work with all the common options for fixing the USB drive having "write protected", but the above solution I found after hours and hours of searching online and asking my computer-geeks colleagues.

Hope this helps! :bounce: 

March 22, 2014 4:50:17 AM

Primo Solutions said:

March 30, 2014 1:31:46 PM

Hello,
I have this same problem and I have tried all the solutions that you had listed so I downloaded the utilities that you had said if the others didn't work. The problem is i cant get the program (AlcorMP_AU698x_RT_v1.0.0.14_L0117) to recognize my usb drive. I'm not sure how to use the program. Can you help guide me onto how to use it.
Here is what the Chip Genius program listed on my USB drive:
Description: [E:]USB Mass Storage Device(Kingston DataTraveler 2.0)
Device Type: Mass Storage Device

Protocal Version: USB 2.00
Current Speed: High Speed
Max Current: 200mA

USB Device ID: VID = 0930 PID = 6545
Serial Number: 001CC0EC3450ED3167140119

Device Vendor: Kingston
Device Name: DataTraveler 2.0
Device Revision: 0100

Manufacturer: Kingston
Product Model: DataTraveler 2.0
Product Revision: PMAP

Chip Vendor: Phison
Chip Part-Number: PS2251-61(PS2261) - F/W 05.09.53 [2011-11-02]
Flash ID Code: 983A9992 - Toshiba [TLC]

I appreciate the help

Samy Youssef said:
If the problem is persistent with the drive and you still can't copy files to it or format it after:-

1- You tried removing read-only permission from the drive properties
2- You tried formatting from Windows
3- You tried formatting from CMD using DISKPART
4- You tried editing the Registry solution (for WriteProtect word)
5- You tried the different free online tools like HDD LL Format tool and HP Format Tool

Then your drive is corrupt and needs the internal chipset S/W to be flashed, i.e. repairing the USB software. The steps below will lead you to get a small program to run on your USB memory-stick which is specific to your MANUFACTURER (make) and PRODUCT (model). If you don't want to go through the headache of the manufacturer's technical support then do it yourself as follows (which I source from here):-
1- Get Chip Genius portable application from here which you will use to find the VID and PID of the USB stick chip.
2- Search for the tool to repair your USB stick S/W from FlashBoot website . Search using your VID and PID from the previous step.
3- Search on Google for the name of the application you find in the "UTILS" column in the page from step 2 and the first link on Google Results (usually) will take you back to the FlashBoot website to download the utility to get your USB drive repaired.

It worked for me for my Kingston Data Traveler flash drive. It didn't work with all the common options for fixing the USB drive having "write protected", but the above solution I found after hours and hours of searching online and asking my computer-geeks colleagues.

Hope this helps! :bounce: 

March 31, 2014 6:17:51 AM

Yeah thats my problem, I cannot get the write protection off the usb drive. I have tried all the steps outlined by user "Samy Youssef" and he had mentioned after completing all steps and if your usb drive is still write protected he said to re-flash it with manufactures flash utility. I have downloaded it but I'm not for sure how to use it.

i appreciate any help at all I hate to lose this usb drive, i think its still good if i can get the write protection removed

thanks again
April 3, 2014 9:38:28 AM

Hello Rookie , your problem is very easy my friend
the solution is updating Phison PS2251-61(PS2261) chip controller firmware , you can search in google by this "phison PS2251-61(PS2261) firmware " you will find your software , insert your corrupted flash drive then open the software then click on start to begin updating your software , also here is a link of Phison PS2251-61(PS2261) software on Mediafire
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j6l6w1g1uhbmxl9/Forma...
Also tell me the result with this solution so i can help you later
Thanks
!