Armada M700 power problems

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 8, 2005 2:50:16 PM

I have seen others complaining about their Compaq Armada M700 laptops
refusing to boot. I have the same problem. If I start it on battery
alone there is no drive or fan activity but the caps, num and scroll
lock lights all flash. If I start it on AC then the caps, num and
scoll lock lights stay on but now the power and charging lights flash.
I've tried disconnecting the RTC battery for a while to see if that
cures it, and I've taken the laptop apart and reseated the power board
and all the other connections. None of these has cured it. I can't
get the FN+F11 combination do anything either. Does anyone know I
it's possible to tell if there is a hardware failure, perhaps the
power board, without having to take for a service? If not, can you
recommend anyone near Edinburgh in Scotland with experience of these
laptops who can fix it for me?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 8, 2005 7:48:11 PM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kooky45" <kenord@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 2:50 PM
Subject: Armada M700 power problems

>I have seen others complaining about their Compaq Armada M700 laptops
> refusing to boot. I have the same problem. If I start it on battery
> alone there is no drive or fan activity but the caps, num and scroll
> lock lights all flash. If I start it on AC then the caps, num and
> scoll lock lights stay on but now the power and charging lights flash.
> I've tried disconnecting the RTC battery for a while to see if that
> cures it, and I've taken the laptop apart and reseated the power board
> and all the other connections. None of these has cured it. I can't
> get the FN+F11 combination do anything either. Does anyone know I
> it's possible to tell if there is a hardware failure, perhaps the
> power board, without having to take for a service? If not, can you
> recommend anyone near Edinburgh in Scotland with experience of these
> laptops who can fix it for me?

The past couple of weeks our M700 was not booting, the nums, caps, scroll
leds and the fan came on and that was it. Occasionally it would boot until
last week when it stopped completely. I ordered a new DC-DC board and that
cured the problem.

Check out these guys http://www.cpainc.ca/ I ordered the part and it
arrived in a couple of days. Their website states that they are in the
process of setting up an eBay store so they may not have a problem shipping
to scotland.

The laptop then would lock up and that's when I noticed the fan was only
running occasionally, laptop would over heat and lock up. I installed a new
fan last night and still had the same problem.
Today I have hooked up an external 5V supply for the fan and it has been
running for hours. Tomorrow I will tear it apart again and look to see why
the fan power is intermittant and if needed run a feed from another 5V
point.

The laptops are easy to open up and work on. I have a PDF file here that I
can email you that guides you step by step if you want.

Good luck

Brian
!