Status
Not open for further replies.

McDougal66

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Mind you, these questions are entirely from my own curiosity, and not based on anything someone has told me.

I have an ASUS N56 series with an i7 quad core Ivy Bridge and 8 gb of ram with dedicated graphics, running Windows 8.

Unfortunately, I have a 5400 rpm HDD, and I had no idea how much that would show with my new laptop. Quite simply, this computer is too fast for the HDD. It can't keep up. I just want to fully take advantage of the processing power.

Aside from 7200 rpm HDDs, I'm looking at SSDs, and was wondering if they are beneficial for the CPU, because of less/no heat production, much faster response time for background applications, gaming, etc. Does this fast access put less stress on the CPU? Is the heat difference better for the CPU? Any advantages for the CPU?

Any opinions are appreciated.

Gamoholic

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
They won't make your CPU live longer if that's what you're asking. Don't get me wrong, they are totally worth it. Buy one. You won't believe the difference. They are amazing. Your hard drive IS holding you back.

It doesn't put less stress on your CPU, and the heat difference is pretty small. But it will make a very big difference for the responsiveness of your computer. Your CPU won't have to sit around waiting ages for data to arrive from the hard drive.

McDougal66

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I feel like I'm squandering the processing power of this thing. I'm intrigued with the SSDs, although I have a 1TB HDD as of now, so I'd have to take a hit on capacity. The i7 is like a galloping thoroughbred horse trying to pull a heavy carriage, not a jockey...

So the SSDs aren't easier on the CPU long-term?

McDougal66

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

So it seems no difference on CPU. Thanks. Yes, I want this thing to shoot through the roof. Trying to get even close to the capacity of the HDD for somewhat cheaply is an issue.

I'm wondering how low they will come down in 2012. I could possibly wait until later this year or something.

Gamoholic

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Generally you put your OS and most important programs on your SSD, not pictures and videos. You can get good 128GB SSD's on sale for under $100. Keep your 1TB for storing the big stuff that doesn't need to go fast.

McDougal66

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

You know, you're right. I can just clone the 5400 to it. A 1TB external would be ideal with the SSD onboard. Plus, much less apt to have a catastrophic crash for the saved stuff.

Thanks. Less than $100? I'm sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.