Sign in with
Your question

Installing SSD on old Mobo

Last response: in Storage
January 19, 2013 5:05:49 PM

Hi guys!

I planning to move from HDD to SSD, but problem is that I have a rather an old mobo, Asus A8V-VM SE. I'm curious if I will encounter any compability issues. Also, although I did my research, I am failed to see as to whether SATA 3.0 or 2.0 will make any difference for my old mobo.

The reason of why I am moving to SSD is to speed up my old mule a little. So, I'm planning to buy a GPU too, yet this belongs to another thread. And, I'm a newbie when it comes to hardware, so what do you think I should know before going for it?

Thanks guys.

More about : installing ssd mobo

a c 318 G Storage
January 19, 2013 8:16:21 PM

You can use an SSD but your motherboard has old 1.5Gbps SATA ports that will slow you down. You wouldn't notice much difference between 3 and 6Gbps SATA ports but your sequential read/write will be capped. You will benefit from the random read/writes and low seek times.
January 19, 2013 9:13:44 PM

RealBeast said:
You can use an SSD but your motherboard has old 1.5Gbps SATA ports that will slow you down. You wouldn't notice much difference between 3 and 6Gbps SATA ports but your sequential read/write will be capped. You will benefit from the random read/writes and low seek times.

So, will it be any good for me in overall?

Thanks mate.
Related resources
a c 318 G Storage
January 19, 2013 9:24:06 PM

Yes, it will be very good, but don't try to go for the fastest SSD (as that is mostly a competition for high sequential read/writes) -- just look for a good quality drive at a good price. And take a quick look at the Tom's monthly drive review HERE.
a b G Storage
January 19, 2013 9:26:22 PM

you will definitely see a difference when opening programs etc because the SSD has much quicker access to data (13ms down to 0.1ms). the limitation will be when the drive is making a large write/read as this will limit the max transfer from theoretical max of 600MB/s to 150MB/s (SATA3 to SATA1). If you can fork out another $200 you could pick up a "not bottom of the barrel" intel cpu + mobo.
January 20, 2013 6:03:57 AM

Thanks for the answers guys.

Quote:
If you can fork out another $200 you could pick up a "not bottom of the barrel" intel cpu + mobo.

Unfortunately I can't, yet I'm planning to buy an affordable GPU as for any GPU is better than integrated graphics processor.
!