Installing SSD on old Mobo

himgil

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Hi guys!

I planning to move from HDD to SSD, but problem is that I have a rather an old mobo, Asus A8V-VM SE. I'm curious if I will encounter any compability issues. Also, although I did my research, I am failed to see as to whether SATA 3.0 or 2.0 will make any difference for my old mobo.

The reason of why I am moving to SSD is to speed up my old mule a little. So, I'm planning to buy a GPU too, yet this belongs to another thread. And, I'm a newbie when it comes to hardware, so what do you think I should know before going for it?

Thanks guys.

RealBeast

Titan
You can use an SSD but your motherboard has old 1.5Gbps SATA ports that will slow you down. You wouldn't notice much difference between 3 and 6Gbps SATA ports but your sequential read/write will be capped. You will benefit from the random read/writes and low seek times.

himgil

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

So, will it be any good for me in overall?

Thanks mate.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, it will be very good, but don't try to go for the fastest SSD (as that is mostly a competition for high sequential read/writes) -- just look for a good quality drive at a good price. And take a quick look at the Tom's monthly drive review HERE.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
you will definitely see a difference when opening programs etc because the SSD has much quicker access to data (13ms down to 0.1ms). the limitation will be when the drive is making a large write/read as this will limit the max transfer from theoretical max of 600MB/s to 150MB/s (SATA3 to SATA1). If you can fork out another $200 you could pick up a "not bottom of the barrel" intel cpu + mobo.

himgil

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Thanks for the answers guys.

If you can fork out another $200 you could pick up a "not bottom of the barrel" intel cpu + mobo.

Unfortunately I can't, yet I'm planning to buy an affordable GPU as for any GPU is better than integrated graphics processor.

TRENDING THREADS