Closed Solved

PhysX Card worth buying?

I own a superclocked 9800GTX and my PC tends to lag out when I try to enable PhysX in something. Now I realize that the new cards do PhysX onboard, but I cannot afford to upgrade currently. Is it worth it to buy a used PPU card off of ebay or something and put with my card, or will I not see a difference with new games?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about physx card worth buying
  1. Hmm I'd say no. What you would be much better off doing is buying a nice shiny new card and using the 9800GTX as a PhysX card.

    I bought a GT240 on sale, $65 after rebate, and it works great for PhysX... so I mean you can do it cheap. But on the other hand, you're not really pushing the graphics as it is so what does a little extra smoke really matter? If you were to upgrade to, say, a GTX 460 and stick your current card in as the PhysX card you would then have sweet graphics and all the eye candy...

    I guess it depends just how cheap you can get a PPU lol.
  2. I really just can't afford a new card right now, at least not one good enough for the upgrade to be worth it. I can pick up a new PPU for about $20-$30 however.
  3. Well, I guess it just depends on you. IMO, check out Batman, Mirro's Edge, Cryostasis, Dark Void, Metro 2033, Mafia 2 youtube videos with "physx comparison" and then decide if it's really worthwhile... if it's for just 1 or 2 games... is it really worth and extra $15 per game?
  4. Shorvok said:
    I really just can't afford a new card right now, at least not one good enough for the upgrade to be worth it. I can pick up a new PPU for about $20-$30 however.

    By PPU do you mean an Nvidia graphic card or an Aegia card?
  5. Mousemonkey said:
    By PPU do you mean an Nvidia graphic card or an Aegia card?


    Aegia card.
  6. Best answer
    Shorvok said:
    Aegia card.

    That may not be wise, if support hasn't been dropped already there's no saying it won't be in the future at which point that card will be even more useless than it is now but at least a graphic card could be put to another use as say, a graphic card.
  7. ^ Ah yeah, I don't think an Aegia card is a good idea. Nvidia bought them out and incorporated the technology into their own cards, so new PhysX is all about running on CUDA. Any NV card 8800 or higher (might be 8xxx) will work ok.
  8. wolfram23 said:
    ^ Ah yeah, I don't think an Aegia card is a good idea. Nvidia bought them out and incorporated the technology into their own cards, so new PhysX is all about running on CUDA. Any NV card 8800 or higher (might be 8xxx) will work ok.

    8600GT or higher.
  9. Best answer selected by Shorvok.
  10. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Lag Physx Graphics