Status
Not open for further replies.

skarrlette

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hello, I just bought a computer and I bought one with dual quad core processor. Which to me means two separate processor with 4 cores? But when I opened the hardware it only looked like one was there.

The name of it is intel xeon processor e5640 (12m cache, 2.66 GHZ, 5.86 Gt/s Intel QPI)

When I open the computer and go to processors in device manager it shows me I only have 4 processors which mean where are my other 4?

Can someone tell me what a Dual qUAD CORE Processor means and is it suppose to be two separate pieces or is in one processor. should my computer show 8 processors?

Solution
If you are only seeing four CPU charts in Task Manager then you can only possibly have one quad core CPU installed in there. If you have paid for two quad core CPUs then you need to pursue that matter. It may also be worth checking exactly what CPU you have installed in your system. CPU-Z is a good, free utility for determining this. This way we can tell whether your CPU supports Hyperthreading or not. If it does, then you must have this option disabled in your BIOS as popatim said. If Hyperthreading is enabled you would then see 8 CPU charts in Task Manager and likewise if you had two such chips with Hyperthreading enabled you would see 16 charts.

On the other hand if your CPU does not support Hyperthreading then on your current setup...

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Could you provide the model of the system you bought?
Your processor does support being in a dual processor system and does support hyper threading. If you have two of these processors you should effectively have a 16 processor system. If you only have 4 processors showing, you definitly have only one of these chips in your PC.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
A dual quadcore computer will have to sockets. Each one with it's own Xeon E5640 quadcore processor. Since the E5640 supports hyperthreading Windows device manager should show 8 cores with just one processor 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores. If you have two chips installed then you should see 16 cores.

^ :lol:

Dual Quad core processor: A single quad core CPU that support 16GB or 24GB plus another quad core CPU that support 16GB or 24GB, so, you have TWO CPUs, 8 cores, 4 cores per CPU.

So, What is the model of the rig? Because if you only see a socket and a single CPU, the person that sold you the rig, sold you something that's not what you have in paper.

skarrlette

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Hi thanks for answering when I go into the system to look at devices under processors I saw a list of only 4 E5640 2.66 processors in my system, where would I find the virtual ones?

skarrlette

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Thanks for answering its a Precision Workstation T7500, and when I ordered it the specifications said DUAL QUAD CORE PROCESSORS. But when I looked in system devices under processors it said the following

E5640 2.66 GHZ
E5640 2.66 GHZ
E5640 2.66 GHZ
E5640 2.66 GHZ

Thats it only four listed, it should read more like you said 16 correct? I am confused because I thought dual quad core meant two with 4 cores which would be 8/

Please explain how many processors should show up in my WINDOWS?

Thanks in advance

1- You can't see the "virtual cores", even, aren't called virtual cores, those are four cores with eight threads and you can't see the threads.
2- That rgi support dual core, quad core and six core CPUs, the CPU that you are seeing in the devices manager is a SINGLE cpu with four cores.
3- You only can see the the cores, so, if you have a single CPU with four cores, you should see four cores in task manager and device manager, if you have two CPU with four cores per CPU you should see eight core in task manager and device manager. The only way for see 16 cores is have four CPU with four cores per CPU or two eight core CPUs.

Here is an example:

It're two X5460, with four cores per CPU:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now check the following picture:

signature.img

CPU-Z says "Cores:4 Threads:4", if you check with CPU-Z, the info for your CPU should be "Cores:4 Threads: 8", as I say, you can see the cores, not the threads. Check the link below to see an example.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1326854

Finally, check if you REALLY bough the rig with TWO PHYSICAL cpus, DELL sometimes sell the rigs with a single CPU and option to add another one if you want.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

I have to disagree with this. The X5460's you mentioned are four core CPUs with no Hyperthreading so 4 cores and 4 threads. The CPUs the OP is talking about are 4 cores with 8 threads so Hyperthreading enabled.

SOURCE: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33087

If Hyperthreading is enabled on a four core CPU then 8 threads are available and 8 "CPUs" (threads) would be shown in Windows Device Manager. Likewise if the OP had two such CPUs then he would see a total of 16 "CPUs" (threads) in Device Manager. Even my old P4 with Hyperthreading showed two CPU's in Device Manager and that was definitely no dual core chip ;)

skarrlette

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

I purchased the computer with Dual quad core processors its on my order now my windows task manager looks like the one you sent me with only 4 green blocks I should have eight if I received dual quad cores

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
If you are only seeing four CPU charts in Task Manager then you can only possibly have one quad core CPU installed in there. If you have paid for two quad core CPUs then you need to pursue that matter. It may also be worth checking exactly what CPU you have installed in your system. CPU-Z is a good, free utility for determining this. This way we can tell whether your CPU supports Hyperthreading or not. If it does, then you must have this option disabled in your BIOS as popatim said. If Hyperthreading is enabled you would then see 8 CPU charts in Task Manager and likewise if you had two such chips with Hyperthreading enabled you would see 16 charts.

On the other hand if your CPU does not support Hyperthreading then on your current setup you would only see 4 charts as you are now. Even adding another CPU you would only see 8. Hope this clears things up a little.

Solution

skarrlette

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Thank you for your answers, I will check what I have installed. I do only see 4 not 8 charts as Moody mentioned, I have the order receipt they did not send me the other processor they only sent me one, I am concerned as to why they did that and thankful that we looked.

All your answers have helped me understand better, I am pursuing this with Dell and getting a lot of stalling its been going on for a week, and the customer service stinks, but the matter will be resolved, I actually will be calling again today to check on the status of where my other processor is and when they are getting it to me.

Thank god I have all my documentation or I wouldn't be getting anything.

I will keep posted

skarrlette

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Update not sure if anyone here works for Dell but I am in Dell hell trying to solve my missing processor dilemma,and have not received the processor as of this date. However I will be fighting them for it.

Thanks for all your great information!

Status
Not open for further replies.