Reading and searching for information about defragmenting has only caused me more confusion. I have been reading a lot about Win 7 automatic defrag etc. My old Vista PC has also an option where you set up a schedule for automatic defragmenting, so I don't see how Win 7 is different in that aspect...
I have built this gaming PC just a month ago. I have looked at the defrag schedule for both my boot drive and other drive and twice I have seen the boot drive say 4% defrag. Other times, it always shows as 0%.
- What does the above mean?
- I have the defrag set to a monthly schedule for 1st day of the month at midnight. Will I have to leave my PC fully powered on for this to take effect?
- Some people say defragging is not necessary for modern hard drives any more. So is it or is it not?
- I do have about 50GB of data on the boot drive (Velociraptor) and 500 GB of pictures, movies, music, games on the other drive. Is it necessary to defrag them?
- Should I do this manually because my computer is not always on during the "scheduled" defrag time?
250gb WD Velociraptor - 2tb WE Black - Gigabyte z77x-ud3h - Gigabyte GTX 660 - Corsair GS700 - Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb - CM storm enforcer