Ognjen91

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hey there, i have just bought an MSI GTX 460 1GB Cyclone a day ago, and after playing newer games like bad company 2 and gta 4, the games freeze like this

The squares are in different colors sometimes, usually white... It is getting REALLY annoying, sometimes i even get a Blue Screen of Death.
Anyone knows what might be causing the problem? My drivers are up to date, my psu is 620W and the card is connected with 2 6pin connectors...

If you check the error checking there will be an error count in the top left corner. Did it say anything besides "0"? Also did you see any artifacts on the screen? They keep the same image so they are easier to see.

Ognjen91

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
It said around 2200 errors, there were artifacts on the screen.
I have overclocked my card from 715-850, memory from 1300-2200, could that be the cause?

Yup. Clock it to stock and run the test again. Make sure there are no errors at stock speeds.

You will probably have to increase your voltages to get the 850MHz speeds. Are you sure that is your memory speed or you Shader clock? The stock memory clock is 900Mhz, or 3600Mhz effective (quad pumped).

^ lol yes. Overclocking, if unstable, will definitely cause artifacting and BSODs. Test the card at stock first, if it's fine then it's just a bad OC (you should research it a bit...). If it screws up at stock as well, tho, then you have to RMA it.

Ognjen91

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
The MSI GTX 460 Cyclone is one of the best overclocking cards you can find,it is running at 45 Celsius OCd, i'll try clocking it to stock and update my post with the results.

Just because it's "one of the best" OC cards doesn't mean you can just ramp it up and expect it to work. At stock volts every card has it's threshold, from the reviews I saw most 460s were around 800 maybe a bit more. Once you get up to there you'll have to go slower and check for stability (artifacts) - if there are any then it needs more voltage. Needing more voltage is a core part of OCing. If the card is "one of the best" at OCing, it's probably because it can add voltage and keeps good temps. It doesn't mean it'll just hit a high OC without breaking a sweat as you've now experienced. Memory OCing is a bit different than core OCing, and chances are you can't adjust the memory voltage so it'll be limited too.