Dell Optilpex 755 DT Power Supply Upgrade

RoadRider84

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hi! I have a Dell Optiplex 755 DeskTop with the 280 power supply. I have a 500gb hard drive and 4 gb of memory. So the only thing left to upgrade in it is the video graphics. But to do so I need to first upgrade the power supply.

I am want to install a GeForce 9800 GT or the GTX 460 video card in it. To do so I first need to install a larger power supply. Any recommendations?

V.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
As you know, the issue you are going to run in to is that your Dell uses a proprietary PSU. You have a couple of options:

1. Try to find a Dell 755 Minitower case to move your guts into and then use a larger Dell or "standard" PSU.

2. Try to install a standard PSU in your current case. It looks possible, but is difficult to determine without measuring the PSU's dimensions (length, width, height).

3. You could also remove your optical drive (DVD-RW or whatever you have) and install a VGA PSU like this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101044). This would require you to use an external optical drive.

Last, you can also look at a website like txcesssurplus.com to see if there is another, stronger Dell PSU similar in size to the one you have now that could work.

Good luck!