Sign in with
Your question

Best gaming mobo with features august 2011

Last response: in Motherboards
September 4, 2011 5:49:29 PM

Hello dear Tom's hardware community!

First of all I'd like to say that all your efforts are much appreciated!

First time poster - been reading forums for almost 2 years, and going strong ;) .

I'm on the lookout for a new mobo, since my current one doesn't support SATA 3, USB 3.0 etc.

I'm currently equiped with the Asus P6T Deluxe V2, which I have been quite satisfied with for almost 2 years, up untill now due to a couple of issues in addition to the new SATA 3/ USB 3.0 technology.

For instance, some of my SATA-ports on the mobo are blocked by one of my GPU's (I recently purchased another 5770 to go in CF with my old 5770).

Here is my current setup:

Antec Nine Hundred Two V2 (It matters, because it's a very compact case).

2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in CF

Core i7-920

3x 2GB OCZ-Platinum PC3-12800 7-7-7-20 1600 MHZ (Running at lower MHz to be compatible with Core i7, And with lower CL).

700W Chill Innovation PSU.

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo.

Asus DVD/CD burner combo drive.

1 TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD.

Noctua NH-U12P CPU cooler

D-Link Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter DWA-556 (Wireless Network adapter)

I am in the process of buying the following items (I would like all of it to fit the new mobo):

2x Corsair Force GT 120 GB (For raid 0 configuration).

2x Seagate Barracuda Green (ST2000DL003) 2 TB, SATA-600, 7200 RPM, 64 MB Buffer. (Also for raid 0 configuration) - I like speed, and I don't care much about failure on these HDD's, as I will backup most of it.)

Verbatim External Desktop Hard Drive Harddisk 2 TB - USB 3.0

I will most likely also upgrade my GPU's once the 7000-series from ATI releases. I'm planning on buying two of the big cards, so I want it all to fit in there nicely.

Also, a bit of an off-track question: Will I need a new case to fit in big GPU's, and perhaps other stuff aswell?

To boil it all down, I'm looking for 'today's Asus P6T Deluxe'. A motherboard that will fulfill my needs and be future-proven for some time (so I don't have to change mobo again within the next year atleast).

Thanks again!
September 4, 2011 7:36:45 PM

Welcome to the forums, and stuff... 2 years and no register? :D 

New mobo = new CPU. Since you'll upgrade the GPUs when AMD 7000 series come out, why not wait? You'll have Intel Ivy Bridge and AMD Bulldozer CPUs available to choose from... your current build seems good and I wouldn't rush an upgrade here.
September 4, 2011 11:08:20 PM

Yeah... x). I check Tom's hardware to do my research (reviews, benchmarks and the likes), when I need new upgrades and then I consolidate with my brother. But he's in the military now, so he doesn't have much time to spare. I didn't know that the 7000 series would be released along with the new CPU's.... So you make a very valid point.

I guess I'll just wait... I don't hope the 7000 series (and the new CPU's) are far in the future.

Thanks for your advice!
September 4, 2011 11:13:04 PM

I'm not saying they're necessarily gonna be released along with the new CPUs. I'm just saying there is no rush with your current config and a lot of things will change in just a few months, that's all.
!