Dell Optilpex 755 DT Power Supply Upgrade

RoadRider84

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hi! I have a Dell Optiplex 755 DeskTop with the 280 power supply. I have a 500gb hard drive and 4 gb of memory with Windows XP SP3. So the only thing left to upgrade in it is the video graphics. But to do so I need to first upgrade the power supply.

I am want to install a GeForce 9800 GT or the GTX 460 video card in it. To do so I first need to install a larger power supply. Any recommendations what power supply would work in this desktop? I'm looking to get it ready to give to someone going off to college.

V.

Dell's desktop often use a propreitary PSU.

I looked it up this is the shape of your PSU: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-Optiplex-Dimension-Systems/dp/B0029SK82G

Normal PSU's are recutangluar not shaped like that. You would have to find a lower end video card to put in there. I doubt that PSU has any 6pin PCI-Express connectors (not to mention the low wattage) so you would be stuck with an ATI Radeon 5670 or a GT 430. But those video cards would probably put to much of a load on the PSU.

RoadRider84

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
VisionTek makes a Radeon 4350 w/512mb that is a low profile card with a low profile bracket. It requires a 250 Watts power supply. I went ahead and ordered it. Still its better than using the motherboard's integrated graphics.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

V.

RoadRider84

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. I looked at them as well. The issue still is that the PSU is 280W. Even though some like to push and overdrive their PSU, I don't. Then other things start to happen after a period of time because of taxing the PSU.

It is a good thing that this is the one and only desktop I have and soon its going to be gifted to someone that is going off to college. She will enjoy having a PC of her own and not look at things avid and serious computer builders do.