Linux NAS Home Build Using Cubieboard/MK802/MK808

Has anyone tried or can point me to info on building a low power NAS using one of the Allwinner A10 System-On-Chip's, like the Cubieboard or MK802/808?
4 answers Last reply
More about linux home build cubieboard mk802 mk808
  1. Well, the Cubieboard has at least on sata port for the disk, most of the others don't have any and run android, what is sure not the choice for a nas. Maybe easier to by an ARM based nas.
  2. noidea_77 said:
    Maybe easier to by an ARM based nas.

Just buying something overpriced and of limited functionality is always "easier".

But building a NAS with something flexible like the Cubieboard is much more rewarding, you'll be able to install various helper software, XBMC, use a monitor with it to make maintainance easy and faster than through some browser interface. And of course you can use this NAS as a TV box too.

At the same time, it will be a lot less of a ripoff than a Synology box, where they charge you another $75 for every 256MB of RAM they add. I understand this won't replace their 4xx or 2xx series with a single SATA port, but it will wipe the floor with their 1xx series while consuming less power. 4TB drives mean thats enough for a LOT of people...
  3. I dont know anyone that has nas software running on it yet.
  4. rockgeo said:
    Has anyone tried or can point me to info on building a low power NAS using one of the Allwinner A10 System-On-Chip's, like the Cubieboard or MK802/808?

I'm currently working on implementing this and I'm blogging about it:

Hope this might help. Comments are welcome
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Build Linux Storage