Sign in with
Your question

Multi-user with single CPU

Last response: in Systems
October 11, 2010 1:08:12 PM

I would like to know how to connect two monitors, two keyboards, two mouse to a single CPU without adding a Extra Graphics card. In short I would like to know if there is a splitter kinda thing which gives an access to the CPU where two users can use the same CPU simultaneously?

More about : multi user single cpu

a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2010 1:22:14 PM

2 people with 2 keyboard, 2 mouse, 2 monitor operating the same computer?
That is only possiblle by using virtual pcs.
Splitter thing alone will not work.
The thing is, a single cored proc is not really a good solution for that kinds usage. It is better to use multi-cored processor for virtualization.

Hint :
Try searching some knowledge about microsoft virtual pc, sandbox, virtualbox, vmware, etc.

Explaining everything takes some time, it is better to read those infos for yourself.
m
l
October 11, 2010 1:28:17 PM

I don't think he actually meant a "single core" CPU - but more than likely two people using the same "box" (the actual guts not really even mentioned).

But even with VM or virtual pc, there isn't anything I can even think of that would get him to what I think he wants.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2010 1:29:22 PM

@ davewolfgang: Yup :D  I agree :D 
m
l
October 11, 2010 1:54:11 PM

Adding more information: ATOM Processor (1.6GHz. 2GB RAM, 300 GB HDD, 2 monitors, 2 keyboards, 2 mouse, 2 users), now can you suggest me. I have checked with VMware but it gives an option only when you have two Cabinets(CPUs).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2010 2:03:14 PM

1. You need lots more to learn about virtualization
2. You need lots to learn about ATOM. ATOM is only a good for nothing processor, even without virtualization.
m
l
October 11, 2010 2:10:36 PM

In short - the answer is no, what you want isn't possible.

Desktop VM's are so you can run TWO machines (OS's) on ONE computer (CPU).

SERVER VM's (which I think is what you are thinking of) requires a server, a server OS that supports and enables multiple users to connect at the same time - and also requires each of those users to already have a CPU (Desktop machine) to be able to Remote Desktop into that server VM. That's already three machines with the corresponding router/switch infrastructure to let that happen, not to mention the required software.

So instead, look for a sale and get another netbook for that 2nd user. I got my EeePC 1005HAP at MicroCenter for $199.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2010 2:15:54 PM

BTW :
Where did you get this idea of having 2 different persons connected into 1 netbook at the same time?
It is a far far away from even possible.
m
l
October 18, 2010 1:20:09 PM

With all your information, I am dropping the idea. But, still as my senses tells me to contact the source of this idea from which my mind has got it, I will give it a try with the source and update you all if it has been successful.

Thanks.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 18, 2010 1:36:10 PM

Well...perhaps ...you can write your own programm to make it possible.
Remember...everything begins with an idea.
"Nothing is impossible"
:D 
Hmmm...or do you mean, 2 people fighting over a PC through local and remote PC?
:D 
m
l
!