Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Win7 DVD burner getting a This device cannot start. (Code 10)\

Last response: in Storage
January 19, 2013 7:07:37 PM

My Toshiba/Samsung dvd burner on a Win 7 system stopped working---stopped recognizing any media at al, dvd or cd, blank or recorded. Checked the IDE and power cable--seemed untouched but nothing would help that I tried including uninstalling and letting windows reinstall device driver. Got the "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" every time .

Decided--prpb. wrongly--that the device had finally crapped out. Bought a new LG SATA DVD burner and installed. Same result. Same attempts and results uninstalling device driver and letting OS find again. No love. Went to LG site and downloaded a self-installer for this device but it craps out saying "can't find the traget drive".

Any suggestions? It seems to be a common issue but ....

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Best solution

January 20, 2013 2:34:53 PM

I was able to get the device recognized by editing the registry for the following values. Others had suggested doing this but here it is again:

Open the registry editor and navigate to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class and for my device, open GUID 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 and delete the upper and lower filter keys altogether. Be careful about selecting the correct GUID since the id numbers are similar. This GUID based on other info controls DVD burners.

Exit and reboot and the system identified the device this time.

NOw why this ID changed, I don't know. But it worked for me.
a c 194 G Storage
January 20, 2013 4:50:02 PM

Best answer selected by SR-71 Blackbird.
Score
a c 194 G Storage
January 20, 2013 4:50:08 PM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
Score
!