Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Booting and Stand By

Last response: in Components
January 6, 2011 10:29:49 PM

I have recently been having a problem with putting my PC in stand by. I almost never turn it off unless I wont be using it for days, so I usually put it in stand by until I use it again a few hours later. Now last night, when I hit enter on my keyboard to bring it out of stand by, my keyboard lit up and my PC power light stopped blinking and went solid like it usually does, but my monitor would not kick back in. It was on, but it wouldn't recognize that it was getting a signal. So I then restarted my PC, only to get a "Could not find proper boot device. Please insert boot media or restart and select proper boot device. Press a key to load boot media" or something like that. I could not get this to go away. I restarted, turned off and powered on, tried pressing keys, and I also went into bios to look at my boot device priority list, and it looked how it always looked(wtih HDD first). After shutting the PC off and looking inside I couldn't find anything wrong, besides some dust built up on the case vent near my HDD's, but I vaccumed it off and it wasn't a whole lot. Powered on normally then.

I get home from school today, press enter, and everything goes how it should, but when my screen comes up, it's just my background, no icons, no taskbar, nothing. Can't get anything to come up. So I restart PC, and the same problem form yesterday happens. I try rebooting again a few times, no luck. I open my PC and just kinda look around, make sure no wires by the HDD's have come out. Can't find anything. I power on again and it works...Thing is it displayed a message while booting up that it always displays but I never really took note about it until now. It says something like "Invalid boot device. Booting from ini.files" or "ini.something". Also, I notice there are spots on my HDD's where other wires can go into. However, each HDD has a power cable going into it and a data cable which leads back to this card that goes into my mobo. Can anyone help me? I'm good with computers, but this one's got me stumped.

More about : booting stand

Best solution

January 6, 2011 11:45:01 PM

I guess you can't boot to windows. Sounds like your OS screw up most probably from voltage fluctuation or virus. By the why in the Bios, is your HDD detected? If yes then you'd probably need to repair the OS or format again if repair doesn't help.
January 7, 2011 1:35:23 AM

venjhammet said:
I guess you can't boot to windows. Sounds like your OS screw up most probably from voltage fluctuation or virus. By the why in the Bios, is your HDD detected? If yes then you'd probably need to repair the OS or format again if repair doesn't help.

But why is it working now? I'm posting on the PC that this occured with. Perhaps it's time to get windows 7. How would a voltage fluctuation occur? And I'm pretty sure it's not a virus, but will run a scan with my 3 anti-viruses tonight to be sure. Anyone else have any ideas?
Score
Related resources
June 14, 2011 8:35:08 PM

Best answer selected by trogdor796.
Score
June 14, 2011 9:12:49 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!