Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to talk someone (Father) into buying a new router.

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Linksys
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 1, 2010 5:38:07 AM

We currently have a Linksys WRT54G, I know this is a 7 year old router, so I think if we get a router it'd be faster, but how do I explain to my dad that this is worth $150 to change, (And go through the settings and have to change all of our other wireless devices (about 8 in total))

So, how do I construct a valid argument/discussion with my father about getting a new router, possibly the new netgear one.

More about : talk father buying router

Best solution

Anonymous
August 1, 2010 7:51:31 AM

Changing the settings on client equipment is no big deal.

The problem/opportunity with an older system is that some of the clients may be using older 802.11b adapters and these are not so secure and drag later gear like the WRT45G down to their speed. So a clearourt would be a step forward.

The greatest issue you'll face in persuading Dad is that despite a new router most of the existing system won't perform at the new specs so there's limited or no gain in changing the router unless he's prepared to spend much more than $150 on replacing much of the rest of the system.

My instinct is that you'd be better off waiting for the WRT54G to fail -- wireless seems to die eventually.
August 1, 2010 9:44:05 AM

Best answer selected by nmeseth.
m
l
Related resources
!