Black screen on resume thinkpad t60p windows 7

tbag_atl

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Whenever my machine sleeps/hibernates on its own, for battery or whatever, the display doesn't come back upon resume. The O/S comes up and I can actually ctl-alt-del and hear myself log in, but I cannot see anything.

I think I am having an ATI Mobility FireGL V5200 driver issues on Windows 7, but I've not seen any updated driver. Also I tried uninstalling the driving and running a less than ideal default windows display driver which works fine, but eventually gets overwritten by windows update with the latest and faulty driver.

Any suggestions? This is soooo annoying. I have to power down and potentially lose work to get the display back. If i self sleep/hibernate the machine, it comes back fine. It's only when after some time on battery or if its sleeps due to inactivity that this happens.

I see a bunch of Linux/Ubuntu wikis on workarounds but nothing for Win 7 so far.

Thanks ahead
T

IMO Sleep/hibernation in Windows causes more problems than it is worth. I would disable it.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions