Can the cpu in an hp laptop be replaced?

jgg1855

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hello,can the cpu be replaced in an HP dv4-1435dx laptop or is it soldered to the motherboard? I'd like to know before I take it apart.

IF the laptop works, I would leave it alone. If the system won't power on, then you'll have to remove the board anyway, unless you want to replace the power supply first, to see if that's the problem. I tried replacing a laptop board once, and never again; the connectors are tiny and proper grounding is a problem when reinstalling the board. These boards aren't upgradable for the cpu; even if you were able to use a faster cpu, you'd have to find a better heatsink with the proper connection to the board.

Yes but I would check to see what CPU is the highest the model supports.

That said, having worked on a number of laptops, getting to the CPU is a pain the you know what for most of them. Very few give easy access to the CPU. You will want to take some tape (masking tape) and label the screws if you want to go for it.

But I suggest not doing it. Most laptop CPUs cost about $500 +. Very expensive.

I would look into a new laptop. Thats it really.

Isn't it nice when you take the back plate off and there sits the cpu heatsink and fan.

Most of the time its a right pain, get a magnetic screwdriver some Vodka and a decent extendable light.

Be prepared to always have at least 2 screws left over after re-assemble, thats my advice. :D

Couldn't have said it better. Except maybe gets som MT Dew too. It takes a while.

Some are not so bad. Take out the screws to the bottom and it pulls off. But man the most are just frustrating as crap. Plus crap cooling and hamsters that got caught in the fan are everywhere.