Sign in with
Your question

What motherboard (z68) for chosen setup

Last response: in Motherboards
September 4, 2011 11:46:23 PM

Hello,

I'm planning on getting the following setup but am doubting the motherboard. Chosen the Z68 for its added media performance so doubt a P or H board would do.

-1x 6950 HD (Will be getting a second in a few months)
-4gb dd3 ram (G.Skill at 1600)
-2600k (with the gaia cooler)
-850w PSU

I was initially planning on getting the Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 but it's been a few months and I'm wondering if any of the newer cards are better in terms of added features (OC, media, whatnot) and trustworthyness. The ones I have seen are the maximus series, extreme 7 gen 3,g.sniper 2. Unfortunately they are quite expensive (about 1.5 to 2x the price of the extreme 4).
The board'll have max 2 gpu cards. And I doubt I'll need Pci-e 3.0 compatibility in the near future , so not willing to pay a heap for that 'upgrade'. Preferably a board that OC's without too much hassle (or auto OC's, like some boards can).

Thanks in advance.

a c 125 V Motherboard
September 5, 2011 3:09:25 AM

The following board has all the features you could want out of a Z68 board, and it overclocks well and easily. I have this board and am quite happy for it. For 159 it has all the features of the more expensive Asus boards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

September 5, 2011 9:55:29 AM

Seems an ok board. Only thing that seems off is that there's no dvi/vga/hdmi onboard. Although it's irrelevant to my setup, what's the point of having integrated graphic support if you cant connect ?
Related resources
September 5, 2011 2:32:35 PM

GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

nice board, 2 way crossfire in 8x 8x mode, cheap, well made, micro atx. Or you could go with the board i have the GA-z68XP-UD3 which has the same features and than some on a full atx board.
September 5, 2011 3:56:46 PM

hermz1337 said:
GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

nice board, 2 way crossfire in 8x 8x mode, cheap, well made, micro atx. Or you could go with the board i have the GA-z68XP-UD3 which has the same features and than some on a full atx board.

Don't like m-atx that much, prefer to get a standard atx.
Was looking at the asus P8Z68 pro and deluxe versions which seem rather nice. The gigabyte version you linked seems quite good aswell. How do you think the ones I mentioned compare to the gigabyte one?
!