Sign in with
Your question

Oh no! bought i7-950 (in box still) now SandyBridge is out! HELP

Last response: in CPUs
January 6, 2011 11:53:26 PM

Last week I bought an Intel i7-950 CPU ($299), an ASUS P6X58D-E ($209) and 6GB (3x2GB) of Kingston HyperX DDR3 2000 ($147). I now see that sandy bridge is out. So I was thinking, should I send all this back to Tiger Direct/NewEgg (it's all unopened) and then get an i7-2600K? I don't know when they will hit the stores, but I think the price was supposed to be sub $300, right? I also don't know when the good motherboards will be out to support this (are they already)? Or should I just go forward and build this i7-950 system and be happy? In reality, I don't want to send the stuff back and wait 3 months for things, but ugh, I dont know. Any help is appreciated.
a c 159 à CPUs
January 6, 2011 11:58:21 PM

I wouldn't. Your cpu is just as good as the sandy bridge; returning it will cost you restocking fees, etc. Microcenter is the only place that might have a few to sell this sunday at a discount, and I can only imagine the lines there before they sell out of some models.
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 1:23:51 AM

The 950 in a quality X58 board, is still quite formidable.....; until SLI/Xfire benchmarks hit the streets, the real question might be can the 2500k overcome the PCI-e bandwidth limitation present in P68 chipsets, or, 2x-PCI-e(8). YOur board might end up being best in SLI or Crossfire.

Unless you game at 1280x1024 or lower, the GPU is the biggest factor at 1080P or above anyway....
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 1:36:15 AM

I wont take it back. The cpu that you got will be better the then sandy bridge for the same price range. The true performance of the Sandy bridge won't show itself till DDR4 comes out witch will be around 3rd-4th q's this year. When that day comes you will need to buy need motherboard, ram and cpu.. maybe a new video card. The cheapest sandy bridge cpu will start at $300 to $2k
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 1:40:50 AM

mdd1963 said:
The 950 in a quality X58 board, is still quite formidable.....; until SLI/Xfire benchmarks hit the streets, the real question might be can the 2500k overcome the PCI-e bandwidth limitation present in P68 chipsets, or, 2x-PCI-e(8). YOur board might end up being best in SLI or Crossfire.

Unless you game at 1280x1024 or lower, the GPU is the biggest factor at 1080P or above anyway....

Yes Sandy bridge can overcome the PCI-E bandwidth but not with the ram at the present moment. All they doing is seeing who all jumps for the bait till the motherboard and ram manufactors to catch up with the speepd of the Sandy bridge cpu. It like when they release every new socket, the motherboards and other companies has to catch up before cpu reaches its limits.
January 7, 2011 1:42:41 AM

hahaha the thread title made me piss myself....

Sorry to the OP if you were having genuine issues, you shouldn't be worried IMO keep the computer.
January 7, 2011 1:51:21 AM

Just my opinion, but if you keep what you have now, your only upgrade option will be a hex-core (that currently runs around $1k). If you send it all back and get a 1155 socket board and cpu, then you'd still have upgrade options in a couple of years without breaking the bank. Just my 0.02 and I've been wrong before.
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 2:15:59 AM

The hex-core will come down prices at the end of the year if he still wants to keep the current setup
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 2:26:52 AM

Theres nothing that can run hex-core right now unless you are working for special ops in the militry then thats nothing compare what they are using. the software that is coming out in the next few years will be programmed for dual and quad cores. It will take about 3-4 years before we start to see programs and game running a hex-core.
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 2:26:55 AM

I dont understand what is wrong..You only have to upgrade the cpu and the motherboard..
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 2:43:27 AM

When Ivy Bridge comes out everyone will be complaining of their "OLD" Sandy bridge which is only one year architecture..
January 7, 2011 4:17:25 AM

ace700 said:
Theres nothing that can run hex-core right now unless you are working for special ops in the militry then thats nothing compare what they are using. the software that is coming out in the next few years will be programmed for dual and quad cores. It will take about 3-4 years before we start to see programs and game running a hex-core.

Indeed, very well put. Hardware is always years ahead of software, in terms of home-desktops, to the point that people are not even sure what they need for their purposes. Quad-core architecture optimization is still crap, I'd wage much more than 3-4 years for 6/8 cores...
January 7, 2011 8:36:19 AM

I just built an i7 950 PC on Tuesday. It's my first build, and so far the thing just flies! The i7 950 seems very good value at its current price as far as I'm concerned.
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 8:54:42 AM

the question is - do you do a lot of video encoding so you would benefit from quicksync, if not then don't bother sending it back.
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 9:00:15 AM

robert123456 said:
Indeed, very well put. Hardware is always years ahead of software, in terms of home-desktops, to the point that people are not even sure what they need for their purposes. Quad-core architecture optimization is still crap, I'd wage much more than 3-4 years for 6/8 cores...

Software Piracy..
January 7, 2011 9:33:19 AM

13thmonkey said:
the question is - do you do a lot of video encoding so you would benefit from quicksync, if not then don't bother sending it back.

I agree with this post. Quicksync is the main area you'll find significant difference from your build. Putting together a gaming build next month and my eyes are set firmly on x58 platform with an i7 950. I'm just hoping the prices may come down a little due to SB release.

I think we'll be waiting until later in the year to see a better SB gaming setup with Z68 chipset. Unless you want to wait till then... build away!
January 7, 2011 12:23:59 PM

Thanks guys, you've just made my mind up, I'm going to get the i7-950 now rather than wait for Sandy Bridge, question is...is it worth waiting for a price drop (on the i7-950) or will that not happen for a while?
a c 159 à CPUs
January 7, 2011 1:50:16 PM

Only places with a decent discount are frys or microcenter. Both are in stores only specials, and not every day. So enjoy.
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 11:26:25 PM

Its not even worth the wait for the price drops of the 17-950. The price drop will be not for another 3-6 months
!