Sign in with
Your question

I7 875k runs two cores only

Last response: in CPUs
January 7, 2011 12:27:20 AM

I have an ASUS P7P55D-E-PRO with an Intel I7 875K.

It was running with 4 (FOUR) cores, as it was supposed, and suddenly two cores just vanished. I run CPU-Z and it shows only two cores. The CPU temperature program (real temp gt) shows two cores. Intel Processor Identification Utility shows 4 cores! I am confused. Did I change something that I am not aware in the BIOS? Is it possible to "burn" two cores???

I would appreciate if anyone could help me understand what is going on.

Thanks,

Carlos

More about : 875k runs cores

a c 127 à CPUs
January 7, 2011 12:35:17 AM

Its nearly impossible to kill a CPU these days.

I would reset the BIOS to default and see if that fixes it. If not then we can look into the software side of it (Windows).

Intels CPU identifier mainly looks at the SPEC number so it will say how ever many cores.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 12:36:59 AM

What does Windows show, performance monitor, etc.....
m
l
Related resources
January 7, 2011 12:56:00 AM

mdd1963 said:
What does Windows show, performance monitor, etc.....

Do you mean the Windows Performance Index? Everything is 7.5 but the hard disk drive wich is 5.9.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 2:04:34 AM

When did this problem occured and what were you doing? Yes it is possible to blew 2 cores in a cpu but its hard. Go into the bios and check to see if the computer is reading 2 or 4 cores and turn off Turbo mode too see if the solves the problem.
m
l
January 7, 2011 3:21:56 AM

Thank you! The problem was solved. I have all my cores back! I do not know exactly what did happen because I tried several modifications at the same time. What I know for sure:
To update the BIOS to the latest one had no effect.
Resetting all BIOS values to its default had no effect.
What really helped me was to remember all the steps that I took until the problem appeared. I spent the entire day moving music and video files around AND I was trying to reduce the boot time with Soluto AND MSCONFIG. I just set everything back to its original stage and all four cores showed up. I regret that I did not change each process/program at a time in order to discover the exact process/program that caused the problem. Anyway, thanks for sparing the time!

Carlos
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 7:24:59 AM

You can manually set the number of active cores using msconfig; Tom's have done this on many occasions to compare the performance of 2 vs 3 vs 4 cores by using just a single quad-core processor. You may have unwittingly changed this setting.
m
l
January 7, 2011 12:57:40 PM

Herr_Koos said:
You can manually set the number of active cores using msconfig; Tom's have done this on many occasions to compare the performance of 2 vs 3 vs 4 cores by using just a single quad-core processor. You may have unwittingly changed this setting.

Thanks. I will try to reproduce the steps and find out what I´ve done.
m
l
!