What is my system?
Quadcore 6600, Geforce GTX 9800, 3 gb ram, Samsung Syncmaster 2253 display, MSI P6 mainboard
When does it happen?
It typically happens 5-10 mins after I start playing a graphic intentsive 3d game.
Screen starts getting messed up, vertical lines, distorted text ...etc followed by a complete freeze
Does it happen during safe run?
Yes sometimes. Indeed when I restart, sometimes it sustains during boot screen prior to windows.
Does it return to normal?
Yes after waiting for a while, it can start up normal again.
What I tried so far?
1) Updating graphics card drivers and direct x ( I am very sceptic this would be the problem, since the problem sometimes persists during restart at bootscreen and safe run)
2) Did a good clean up of dust off the cpu and gpu fans, removed and reinstalled the video card to its slot.
3) Did a GPU memory stress test - Result is OK. Did Nvidia CPU and Ram stress tests- Resuls OK. Did Microsoft Memory stress test- Results OK
4) I tried to check the temperature point just before crash. It was close to 70-75 celsius
5) Anti virus scan- Returned clean
I had a very similar thing happen with my older 7900gt. It only happened in some games and not others. I never found a solution. I suspect however that the unit was simply old and worn out. When it get's hotter it begins to corrupt the graphics data resulting in a messed up display. I replaced the card.
I watched the video you posted. It's the GPU. I had similar renderings with my faulty 7900. After I replaced it with, get this an 8400gs (wasn't gaming on it anymore), it worked fine. I think it was probably a fault in the nVidia fab process during those years of the late 7900 and 8000x series GPUs. I've had a lot of people (who Gamed, aka: maxed their GPU) report the same thing.