Help solving faulty graphics

gokygoky

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Hello,

I am having a faulty graphics problem. Better to show than explain, very similar to one in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDFhbmudTyU&feature=related

What is my system?
Quadcore 6600, Geforce GTX 9800, 3 gb ram, Samsung Syncmaster 2253 display, MSI P6 mainboard

When does it happen?
It typically happens 5-10 mins after I start playing a graphic intentsive 3d game.

What happens?
Screen starts getting messed up, vertical lines, distorted text ...etc followed by a complete freeze

Does it happen during safe run?
Yes sometimes. Indeed when I restart, sometimes it sustains during boot screen prior to windows.

Does it return to normal?
Yes after waiting for a while, it can start up normal again.

What I tried so far?
1) Updating graphics card drivers and direct x ( I am very sceptic this would be the problem, since the problem sometimes persists during restart at bootscreen and safe run)
2) Did a good clean up of dust off the cpu and gpu fans, removed and reinstalled the video card to its slot.
3) Did a GPU memory stress test - Result is OK. Did Nvidia CPU and Ram stress tests- Resuls OK. Did Microsoft Memory stress test- Results OK
4) I tried to check the temperature point just before crash. It was close to 70-75 celsius
5) Anti virus scan- Returned clean

Any suggestions much appreciated!

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I had a very similar thing happen with my older 7900gt. It only happened in some games and not others. I never found a solution. I suspect however that the unit was simply old and worn out. When it get's hotter it begins to corrupt the graphics data resulting in a messed up display. I replaced the card.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

gokygoky

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I tried to repair windows and also installed an older driver, same result. I am almost sure that it is hardware defect now.

Any way to be sure about what the actual damaged component is before I open my wallet: video card, mainboard or cpu?

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I watched the video you posted. It's the GPU. I had similar renderings with my faulty 7900. After I replaced it with, get this an 8400gs (wasn't gaming on it anymore), it worked fine. I think it was probably a fault in the nVidia fab process during those years of the late 7900 and 8000x series GPUs. I've had a lot of people (who Gamed, aka: maxed their GPU) report the same thing.

gokygoky

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Many thanks for the responses. I think it is time to buy a new video card. I am open to suggestions:

Two options

Option 1: A good card aligned with limits of my current Quadcore 6600 , 3 gb ram system (i.e. no over-investment!)
My budget will be max 150 euros (~250 dollars)

Option 2: A great card as a first step for an overall investment (i.e. next upgrading cpu)
My budget will be max 250 euros (~400 dollars)

Thanks!

yourmom2161

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I had the same problem when I purchased a brand new 8600GT from newegg a few years back. I had to get it replaced since it was obviously a defective card.

If it's not a new card and this is a new problem, then you can do one of two things:

1. Buy a new card
2. Reflow the card (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=c4d99cbafe8149efccfc11253adb5506&t=1421792)

I only suggest option 2 if you're absolutely against buying a new one.