Hello everyone,
I have the following system I try to make it run:
MB: Intel DP55WG socket 1156
Proc: Intel i3 530
Mem: 2x2GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz
Video: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5770 512MB
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 713N
Power: CoolerMaster GX 550W

The problem is that even from the first start I see no image on the monitor. I'm using the graphic card provided DVI-to-VGA adapter. The only monitor activity is the blinking power led. I tried the monitor on my laptop and it works just fine. I couldn't have the chance to switch monitors or try the graphic card into another system. What could be the problem? Any incompatibility issues between the components I used?

Looking at the digital display on the MB i managed to do the following things:
- boot up from a CD
- entered BIOS setup
- hang with nothing to boot

I disconnected anything that is not crucial: all the case connectors, SATA devices, etc. Nothing helped in bringing an image onto the monitor screen.
August 26, 2010 10:05:21 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Please first check if you plugged the external power connector to your video card and if the fan is spinning.
Hope you connected everything right.

EDIT: you should try the card in another system to see if it works also. And if the led is blinking, doesn't that mean it is on stand by?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 27, 2010 5:40:00 AM

Thanks for reply.

The graphics card was always connected to the correct 6pin connector from the power supply.

Yes, the monitor behavior looks like it's in standby.

I don't have another system so switch parts... yet. I'll try to use a dvi-to-vga cable instead of dvi-to-vga adapter and a vga-to-vga cable to the monitor.

Related resources
a b C Monitor
August 27, 2010 7:08:10 AM

Your mobo has an onboard graphic?
If yes, try to disable it from BIOS...
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 27, 2010 7:34:34 AM

DP55WG intel MB does not have onboard graphics. Now I wish it had, at least to startup the system and make the graphic upgrade later on.

A friend suggested the problem may come be from the monitor settings. This is something i didn't try. I hope the Samsung Syncmaster 713N can be tuned without video input connected. One thing is sure: when the monitor is connected to the graphics card I cannot enter it's menu. Anyone experienced problems with new graphic cards and old TFT monitor settings?
August 27, 2010 8:28:28 AM

How did you use a laptop monitor for a desktop to check gfx card functionality ? I did not know if laptop monitors accept external signals. Or am I missing something ?

Other than that, you can always turn the monitor on manually and get into settings menu without a PC connected.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 27, 2010 11:26:00 AM

suat said:
How did you use a laptop monitor for a desktop to check gfx card functionality ? I did not know if laptop monitors accept external signals. Or am I missing something ?

Other than that, you can always turn the monitor on manually and get into settings menu without a PC connected.

I guess you misunderstood. I tried the Samsung Syncmaster 713N monitor as external for a laptop with the same VGA cable I used on the new system to see if it works. And the monitor (Samsung that is) works fine as external for a laptop.

I just tried to "configure" the monitor not connected to any display card and I can't access any menu. Only long press on menu button does some check and displays "Test Ok" or something like that.

Otherwise, there is still no signal (or whatever) from the 5770.

Looking on other forums, i think there is some incompatibility between DP55WG and Radeon 5xxx.
Several other people complained about the same issue. Unfortunately I found no solution except switch to GeForce and let AMD chew their ATI Radeons. I won't give up to the MB unless proved as broken :) 

August 27, 2010 12:58:08 PM

I believe your monitor does not have DVI connection and you cannot see the BIOS post screen as well. At this point I may suggest you to use the other DVI connector on the card.

August 27, 2010 5:38:03 PM

I have had a similar issue with a 4850 card, and I've come to a similar conclusion. Having tested all other components, I never get the card to start in the correct resolution, and often cannot get any image at all. At best, the behaviour is never consistent.

Some kind of compatibility issue between the mobo and card, or drivers, seems like the most likely explanation to me at the moment. I have tried every configuration and fix I can think of, but nothing solves the problem.

Perhaps you're right... GeForce it is.
August 27, 2010 11:27:10 PM

"Perhaps you're right... GeForce it is." ha ha ha..that was funny.
August 30, 2010 8:02:39 AM

I managed to "solve" the problem by switching to Gainward Geforce GTX 460 768MB video card. It seems there is a incompatibility between DP55WG and Sapphire ATI Radeon 5770 OR there is an extra "protection" feature somewhere. Here it is why I say this:

After I switched the video card, the system booted up and I could install the OS, drivers, and so on. But I found out that the second RAM module was broken (flickering image in games was the effect). I doubt the Radeon identified the RAM problem and refused to start. But anyways, if someone encounters similar problems that I had it may be an idea to check the RAM modules too.
December 2, 2011 2:28:49 PM

There are issues with any Intel DP55 motherboards with ATI 5XXX series PCIe video cards resulting in a no boot issue. If you test a basic PCI video card or an older series ATI PCIe video card the system works fine. The ATI 5XXX video card will test fine in other PC's as well. Here is what you need to do to resolve it.

Repair Intel DP55WG with No Boot issue with Sapphire/ATI 5XXX series PCIe Video Cards.

You will get 2 beeps (Video Error - On-off (1.0 second each) two times, then 2.5-second pause (off), entire pattern repeats)

Here you go:

1. On a working computer, go to Intel website for the DP55WG motherboard and download the new Bios (.bio extension)
2. Put the new .bio Bios update file on a USB drive or burn it to a CD (Ddoes not need to be setup to be bootable).
3. Make sure that the computer that you need to repair is powered off.
4. Pull out the jumper on pins 1-2 (there is only 1 jumper) (Removal put Bios in recovery mode)
5. Plug in any working video card (for test only)
6. Plug in the USB drive, or put the CD in the CD/DVD Drive and power on.
7. The computer will automatically update the Bios. (Bios update in progress – Front Panel Power LED will blink off when the update begins, then on for 0.5 seconds, then off for 0.5 seconds. The pattern repeats until the Bios update is complete.
8. After updated, turn off the computer again.
9. Pull out the video card.
10. Plug in the Sapphire/ATI 5XXX series PCIe video card .
11. Put back the jumper to pins 2-3. (Puts Bios in configure mode)
12. Power on, Bios setup automatically runs. Hit F9 to restore to defaults. Exit Bios and let it boot into Windows.
13. Shutdown and power off again.
14. Put back the jumper to 1.2 (Bios normal mode).
15. Power on, it’s should work fine.

March 13, 2014 12:35:37 AM

rarussel said:
There are issues with any Intel DP55 motherboards with ATI 5XXX series PCIe video cards resulting in a no boot issue. If you test a basic PCI video card or an older series ATI PCIe video card the system works fine. The ATI 5XXX video card will test fine in other PC's as well. Here is what you need to do to resolve it.

Repair Intel DP55WG with No Boot issue with Sapphire/ATI 5XXX series PCIe Video Cards.

You will get 2 beeps (Video Error - On-off (1.0 second each) two times, then 2.5-second pause (off), entire pattern repeats)

Here you go:

1. On a working computer, go to Intel website for the DP55WG motherboard and download the new Bios (.bio extension)
2. Put the new .bio Bios update file on a USB drive or burn it to a CD (Ddoes not need to be setup to be bootable).
3. Make sure that the computer that you need to repair is powered off.
4. Pull out the jumper on pins 1-2 (there is only 1 jumper) (Removal put Bios in recovery mode)
5. Plug in any working video card (for test only)
6. Plug in the USB drive, or put the CD in the CD/DVD Drive and power on.
7. The computer will automatically update the Bios. (Bios update in progress – Front Panel Power LED will blink off when the update begins, then on for 0.5 seconds, then off for 0.5 seconds. The pattern repeats until the Bios update is complete.
8. After updated, turn off the computer again.
9. Pull out the video card.
10. Plug in the Sapphire/ATI 5XXX series PCIe video card .
11. Put back the jumper to pins 2-3. (Puts Bios in configure mode)
12. Power on, Bios setup automatically runs. Hit F9 to restore to defaults. Exit Bios and let it boot into Windows.
13. Shutdown and power off again.
14. Put back the jumper to 1.2 (Bios normal mode).
15. Power on, it’s should work fine.

I've been struggling with this exact issue myself with the DP55WG, i3 530 and HD 5670. Flashing the BIOS normally didn't fix the issue as other threads have suggested, however this suggestion to use the recovery flash mode instead actually did resolve the issue for me.
!