Randomly have to reinstall ATI sound drivers

tjlmbklr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I recently had an issue that I resolved regarding reloading/updating my ATI/Catalyst Control Center and drivers on my Home Theater PC

My post went something like this

Hello,

I am getting a bit frustrated with my HTPC these days. It seemed perfect for the first few months (a little tweaking aside). But it seems that I have more issues with my graphics card losing all it's settings after I reboot. My picture is very dark, my colors are off....very upsetting.

My card is Asus ATI HD Radeon 4650. I believe I am running the latest drivers. I am running Windows 7 64bit. I running all my Home Theater components through my Av receiver which is a Pioneer Elite VSX-82TSX

Thanks in advance.

Anyway I ended up rolling back to 10.6 since I was having issues with 10.7. Everything worked great for about 3-4 days then back to the same issues. I have no sound and my little speaker on my task bar has a red X on it. SO I go into my device manger and reinstall the ATI sound driver.

Question is why do I have to keep doing this and why is it so random?

My Motherboard is a Gigabyte P55-UDR3, with a i5-750 CPU, 4GB of Corsair RAM and a ATI HD Radeon 4650 GPU all running on Windows 7 64bit

Are there any compatibility issues here?

I'm getting a bit frustrate and am leaning more towards Nvidia for my HTPC everyday.

When updating CCC versions the best practice for stability is to remove the previous version completely.
ADD/REMOVE ATI Catalyst Install Manager everything.
Download and install Driversweeper it's free
Run in safemode
Check off ATI
Click purge
Restart normal
Choose and install the CCC version you want
On a side note CCC 10.7 does not include WDM drivers i don't know if this is an issue affecting you
If CCC 10.6 was stable for you just continue using it
I still use CCC 10.4 it's stable and works for me subsequent versions have caused issues so i stick with what works
Just use what works best for your system

tjlmbklr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010

I left out all those boring details, but I did all these same steps on my previous issue and could not get the CCC to open. this is the main reason why I rolled back to 10.6

I am thinking compatibility issues. :-(

tjlmbklr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010

Gigabyte-P55-UDR3 MotherBoard
Intel i5-750 CPU
4GB Corsair 1333Mhz
Ultra 750w PSU (sorry don't know exact model)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Asus ATI HD Radeon 4650 GPU
Kingston 64GB SSD Boot drive (all my programs run from this)

I think that should about cover it.

I never put my HTPC to sleep/Hibernate, and rarely leave it on over night. It gets turned of via proper shutdown each night before bed. However I do have it set to turn off the screen of after like 10 minutes. Is this a possible cause?

leon2006

Distinguished
Try a known good reputable brand of PSU such a corsair, antec, seasonic etc. before getting too far with driver issues.

When the PSU can't support the needed power of GPU then weird issues comes out.

Two major issues with unknown PSU brand that results to weird problem.

1) Not enough capacity. The actual is low than what is declared
2) High ripple

Failure to recover from hybernate mode can be related to bad PSU. PC recovery is dependent 12V Stand BY.

tjlmbklr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010

Any idea how I can test this before replacing a new PSU?