rundll32 not valid app - XP Pro

In Control Panel under WinXP Pro, when I double-click on Add/Remove Programs,
System, Display, Date and Time, or Automatic Updates, to name a few, I get
the error dialog "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe is not a valid
application." I get the same error when I right-click on the Desktop and
select Properties.

Can't pinpoint when it happened, but I just installed Britannica 2003, which
when I launch comes back with "Application could not be initialized, please
re-install". Re-installing does not help, anyway.

Thanks for any suggestions on this.
1 answer Last reply
More about rundll32 valid

    This message appears as though your HD may be corrupt or Windows is missing
    files needed to run. I would do the following steps; First run a Hard Drive
    check to verify your drive is okay. Second: I would insert my Windows CD and
    goto start click on run, in the run line type "sfc /scannow"
    This will run a check on Windows files to verify they are not corrupt or
    missing. Finally the last step would be to boot from your WIndows CD and run
    a chkdsk /r while in console mode.

    Hope this helps

    "CPD" wrote:

    > In Control Panel under WinXP Pro, when I double-click on Add/Remove Programs,
    > System, Display, Date and Time, or Automatic Updates, to name a few, I get
    > the error dialog "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe is not a valid
    > application." I get the same error when I right-click on the Desktop and
    > select Properties.
    >
    > Can't pinpoint when it happened, but I just installed Britannica 2003, which
    > when I launch comes back with "Application could not be initialized, please
    > re-install". Re-installing does not help, anyway.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions on this.

Configuration Rundll32 Windows XP