rundll32 not valid app - XP Pro

September 5, 2005 3:04:09 AM

In Control Panel under WinXP Pro, when I double-click on Add/Remove Programs,
System, Display, Date and Time, or Automatic Updates, to name a few, I get
the error dialog "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe is not a valid
application." I get the same error when I right-click on the Desktop and
select Properties.

Can't pinpoint when it happened, but I just installed Britannica 2003, which
when I launch comes back with "Application could not be initialized, please
re-install". Re-installing does not help, anyway.

Thanks for any suggestions on this.

More about : rundll32 valid app pro

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 9:18:05 AM

This message appears as though your HD may be corrupt or Windows is missing
files needed to run. I would do the following steps; First run a Hard Drive
check to verify your drive is okay. Second: I would insert my Windows CD and
goto start click on run, in the run line type "sfc /scannow"
This will run a check on Windows files to verify they are not corrupt or
missing. Finally the last step would be to boot from your WIndows CD and run
a chkdsk /r while in console mode.

Hope this helps

!