3TB HDD setup on Win 7 - Cant access on Win 8

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Servers
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 20, 2013 9:46:32 AM

Hi,

Recently got a 3TB HDD (WD Red drive) and since it came a while before my new server it will go in, I put it in a USB caddy and set it up connected to my laptop (Compaq Presario CQ56 with Win 7 x64) and setup with the GPT format. All setup fine and can access the full 3TB (or 2.72ish) and started putting all my data on to it.

However got my server this weekend (HP Proliant Microserver N40L) which has a 250GB HDD installed in it so installed Win 8 x64 on it before putting the 3TB drive in the server. When I put the 3TB drive in the server it is seen by the BIOS, but does not show as accessible by the computer.

Checked Disk Management and it shows as a 2048GB GPT protective partition and 746 unallocated space. When you right click on the 2 partitions all the options are greyed out. What do I need to do to have the drive accessible in the server?

When I googled to find the problem everything was going on about how MBR cant go above 2.2TB and needs to be formatted as GPT to access full size before can install Windows on the drive. The drive was already setup as GPT and I do not need to install a OS on this drive!

Any help appreciated :) 

More about : 3tb hdd setup win access win

January 20, 2013 9:50:59 AM

After checking HP website, it has latest version of the BIOS dated 29/7/2011
January 20, 2013 11:37:43 AM

Anyone got any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks,
Related resources
September 7, 2013 7:07:52 AM

i can't say that i have found the answer. i am having the same problem. I have an AsRock 990fx extreme9 and am running Win8x64 and whenever i connect the 3TB drive directly, it shows up as the GPT protected drive with the two partitions. However when i connect the same drive using my USB 3.0 docking station, it shows up right away, data intact. This is also happening on another 3TB drive that I quick-formatted using Win8: it is also coming in as a protected 2048/754GB dual partitioned drive.

a c 940 G Storage
September 7, 2013 1:16:52 PM

Thats the usb bridge chip's doing.
Backup your data with the drive in a USB then install it into pc, remove all the partitions and then initialize the drive in GPT and allocate the space. Then you can reload your data onto it.
!