Fan controller wattage

hi everyone I'm looking to get myself a NZXT sentry 2 fan controller.

It has 5 channels rated at 10w per channel.
will this fan controller be enough to handle my 3 200mm fans, a 120mm fan and a 140 mm fan in my HAF X case?

also, I found the sunbeamtech rheobus extreme with 6 channels at 30w each. Is this a bit overkill for my set up? I only plan to tap a single fan for each connector.

200mm fan:
Rated Voltage -- 12 VDC
Current (Ampere) -- 0.16 A (Max 0.28 A)
Power consumption -- 3.36 W

120mm
fanVoltage -- 12VDC
Current (Ampere) -- 0.35A
Input (Watt) -- 4.2W

140mm
Voltage -- 12VDC
Current (Ampere) -- 0.08A
Input (Watt) -- 0.96W

any tips on what to look out for in finding a controller would be great too.
6 answers Last reply
More about controller wattage
  1. I think you've answered your own question here ;) Each of your fans rated wattage is below 10W per channel so you should be good to go.
  2. as much as I want to get more options, I don't think those lamptrons are available here in the Philippines :\ only ones I can find are NZXT and Sunbeamtech.

only problem about the rheobus extreme is the light color lol, it's only available in blue

edit: erm, I take that back. I managed to find someone selling lamptrons. I'll try to get those.
  3. looked for reviews online and almost all noted that the laptron "leaks" voltage on the full "off" position and has some other problems. and with the same price I think I'll go for the sunbeamtech rheobus ex. instead.
  4. Fans run about 1/3 to 1/2 watt. To allow for inrush current, I have always limited the load to MoBo headers (typicallly 2 watts on enthusiast boards, 1 watt or others) to 50% of the total fan load. Continuing that safety margin, you could have about 15 fans on each channel w/a 10 watt limit.

As a side thought, consider the DF-85 from Antec as an alternative to the HAF-X. I have done recent builds for others w/ both and preferred the Antec. It provides fan control for every fan with the case....and every fan has a filter which can be removed / cleaned / replaced in seconds.
  5. JackNaylorPE said:
    Fans run about 1/3 to 1/2 watt. To allow for inrush current, I have always limited the load to MoBo headers (typicallly 2 watts on enthusiast boards, 1 watt or others) to 50% of the total fan load. Continuing that safety margin, you could have about 15 fans on each channel w/a 10 watt limit.

As a side thought, consider the DF-85 from Antec as an alternative to the HAF-X. I have done recent builds for others w/ both and preferred the Antec. It provides fan control for every fan with the case....and every fan has a filter which can be removed / cleaned / replaced in seconds.

well, It's a little bit too late to change cases now as I already have the HAF X.

I have all my fans connected to the motherboard as of the moment, and I think I'm just gonna go with the nzxt sentry 2 at 10w per channel as I'm not planning on adding more fans. so that means only 1 fan per channel.
  6. This is a year late but, How do you check your fan wattage with out the computer built etc?

My case is also the HAF x
Ask a new question

Read More

Fan Fan Controller Components