Sign in with
Your question

Fan controller wattage

Last response: in Components
January 7, 2011 6:59:55 AM

hi everyone I'm looking to get myself a NZXT sentry 2 fan controller.

It has 5 channels rated at 10w per channel.
will this fan controller be enough to handle my 3 200mm fans, a 120mm fan and a 140 mm fan in my HAF X case?

also, I found the sunbeamtech rheobus extreme with 6 channels at 30w each. Is this a bit overkill for my set up? I only plan to tap a single fan for each connector.

200mm fan:
Rated Voltage -- 12 VDC
Current (Ampere) -- 0.16 A (Max 0.28 A)
Power consumption -- 3.36 W

120mm
fanVoltage -- 12VDC
Current (Ampere) -- 0.35A
Input (Watt) -- 4.2W

140mm
Voltage -- 12VDC
Current (Ampere) -- 0.08A
Input (Watt) -- 0.96W

any tips on what to look out for in finding a controller would be great too.

More about : fan controller wattage

January 7, 2011 8:31:08 AM

I think you've answered your own question here ;)  Each of your fans rated wattage is below 10W per channel so you should be good to go.
m
l
January 7, 2011 8:59:48 AM

as much as I want to get more options, I don't think those lamptrons are available here in the Philippines :\ only ones I can find are NZXT and Sunbeamtech.

only problem about the rheobus extreme is the light color lol, it's only available in blue

edit: erm, I take that back. I managed to find someone selling lamptrons. I'll try to get those.
m
l
Related resources
January 7, 2011 9:30:12 AM

looked for reviews online and almost all noted that the laptron "leaks" voltage on the full "off" position and has some other problems. and with the same price I think I'll go for the sunbeamtech rheobus ex. instead.
m
l
January 7, 2011 3:32:35 PM

Fans run about 1/3 to 1/2 watt. To allow for inrush current, I have always limited the load to MoBo headers (typicallly 2 watts on enthusiast boards, 1 watt or others) to 50% of the total fan load. Continuing that safety margin, you could have about 15 fans on each channel w/a 10 watt limit.

As a side thought, consider the DF-85 from Antec as an alternative to the HAF-X. I have done recent builds for others w/ both and preferred the Antec. It provides fan control for every fan with the case....and every fan has a filter which can be removed / cleaned / replaced in seconds.
m
l
January 8, 2011 2:00:58 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
Fans run about 1/3 to 1/2 watt. To allow for inrush current, I have always limited the load to MoBo headers (typicallly 2 watts on enthusiast boards, 1 watt or others) to 50% of the total fan load. Continuing that safety margin, you could have about 15 fans on each channel w/a 10 watt limit.

As a side thought, consider the DF-85 from Antec as an alternative to the HAF-X. I have done recent builds for others w/ both and preferred the Antec. It provides fan control for every fan with the case....and every fan has a filter which can be removed / cleaned / replaced in seconds.

well, It's a little bit too late to change cases now as I already have the HAF X.

I have all my fans connected to the motherboard as of the moment, and I think I'm just gonna go with the nzxt sentry 2 at 10w per channel as I'm not planning on adding more fans. so that means only 1 fan per channel.
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:17:25 PM

This is a year late but, How do you check your fan wattage with out the computer built etc?

My case is also the HAF x
m
l
!