Sign in with
Your question

Microsoft Office Missing After I Reinstalled Win 7

Last response: in Windows 7
November 12, 2011 10:25:29 PM

Hi all, I recently got an SSD, and did a fresh install on it. However, I notice that I'm missing my Microsoft Office pack. I'm wondering if this is because of my Win 7 upgrade disk. I originally had vista but got the free win 7 upgrade for it and was mailed a copy of win 7 and upgraded directly from it. I'm guessing my microsoft office pack is on the vista install disk. How do I retrieve my microsoft office pack and install it onto my new ssd? Or if I'm way off in my reasoning what should I do?

As always, thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2011 10:34:30 PM

What kind of Vista was it? From Dell and etc. or OEM?

They can send u replacement.
m
l
November 12, 2011 11:09:34 PM

nikorr said:
What kind of Vista was it? From Dell and etc. or OEM?

They can send u replacement.

OEM
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2011 11:52:30 PM

OEM does not come with office on it. Unless it is from Dell or other PC maker. Do u have your office serial #? They can send u replacement.
m
l
November 13, 2011 4:10:58 AM

I built the computer myself and saved every single disk and manual etc. I remember a little bit more and I know that when I purchased the vista 64 bit it came with a free offer to download microsoft office 2007 and that's how I received the pack.

Is there a way to download it again and would my product key from the vista 64 bit OS pack suffice for the code it will ask for? Or is there some other method?

Haha dang that ms office stuff!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 4:12:25 AM

Still have your Office License key?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 4:13:11 AM

OK, that was an trial, right? Did u ever had full and activated version?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 4:14:13 AM

ryanm7 said:
when I purchased the vista 64 bit it came with a free offer to download microsoft office 2007 and that's how I received the pack.
That's not sounding quite right. The only thing 'free' would have been an offer to download Office for a trial period. After that you'd have to buy it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 4:18:11 AM

If u had it activated, they could send u replacement. But as WR2 wrote, it doesn't work that way.

If it worked and u don't remember anymore ask MS.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 4:20:23 AM

I was thinking like nikorr - with a valid license key you could sweet talk MS into a replacement by explaining the circumstances.
I'm sure they could make a download link available just for you.
m
l
November 13, 2011 4:31:06 AM

I definitely had it activated. No trial would last 2 years and have ms update it without any qualms 8) hmmm I still have my old hard drive with it on it, is there a way to pssibly get something helpful from it?

Worst case scenario I will have to pull out my ssd, pop in the old one and use it to go over a publication. But I really don't want to keep playing surgeon with my computer.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 4:35:41 AM

You should be able to pull your MS Office key off your old hard drive.
There's a utility program around to do that for you. Let me dig it out.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 4:36:30 AM

ryanm7 said:
I definitely had it activated. No trial would last 2 years and have ms update it without any qualms 8) hmmm I still have my old hard drive with it on it, is there a way to pssibly get something helpful from it?

Worst case scenario I will have to pull out my ssd, pop in the old one and use it to go over a publication. But I really don't want to keep playing surgeon with my computer.

Can u run Belarc and post the log info? http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
m
l
November 13, 2011 4:38:39 AM

Ahhh you're a life saver. And, to think that earlier today I was considering wiping that hdd hahaha
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 4:40:17 AM

The bee's knees : )
m
l
November 13, 2011 4:42:30 AM

with the jelly bean keyfinder, do I have to pop in the old hdd and boot from it, then install the magical jelly bean on there? or will it be able to pull from my ssd as the main boot with the old hdd just connected?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 4:43:38 AM

The one where is it installed.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 4:44:40 AM

It will have to be attached but not as the boot drive.
You can boot from the SSD as normal.
m
l
November 13, 2011 4:46:52 AM

dang it, ok, be back in a while, I'm going to shower first, gotta relax before I get mad and start throwing disks like frisbees haha
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 4:47:11 AM

Q: Can I retrieve the product key from a non-booting Windows installation?
As long as both Windows versions are 2000, XP, 2003, or Vista, you can use the Load Hive function. You will have to slave the drive and point the Keyfinder to the non-booting Windows directory.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 4:49:26 AM

Just checking to confirm both HDD and SSD have Win7 installed?
m
l
November 13, 2011 5:11:47 AM

ok, both have win 7 64bit, i left the old hdd connected with the ssd selected as the boot. is there anything i have to do to put the old hdd as slave?

I clicked to load hive but it gives me an error msg of "Can't load registry hive from 'drive' A required privilege is not held by the client."

It provides the same error msg when I click to load from my c: (the ssd) and the f: (old hdd)
m
l
!