Sign in with
Your question

Have I done something wrong?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 7, 2011 11:23:24 AM

I just built my first gaming pc! Quite happy that it all went to plan, though I was very nervous when I first plugged it in...Anyway, a few things are different to my old PC and I wanted to make sure I hadn't done something wrong...

First, when I reset the pc it shuts down, switches off, then switches on again, a proper reboot...is that normal? my old pc just kind've clicked then came on...Secondly, when I turn the PC on, the cpu fan doesnt spin for about 3/4 seconds, then it spins and everything boots, is that normal also?

(parts are i5 760, gtx 460 and the motherboard is a gigabyte ga-h55m-s2, with 4gb ddr 3 ram @ 1300mhz...

cant wait to try a few games!

More about : wrong

a c 159 à CPUs
January 7, 2011 11:49:23 AM

Make sure all the case led's work, which will tell you if the case connections are correct. Then double check the power supply lead to your video card. Finally, check the cpu heatsink to be sure it's seated on all 4 of the plastic pins. If it's not flat, your cpu will overheat quickly.
January 7, 2011 11:57:15 AM

checked all of that and all is good, cpu is idling at 26oC which is lower than my previous one! everything seems to be running fine! Now the long process of killing windows services, installing software and the looooong defrag!
Related resources
January 7, 2011 12:16:31 PM

Good :)  So, the whole CPU fan taking 4 seconds to spin up before it boots, and the "hardcore reset" where it switches off fully then back on, thats fine?
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 12:39:24 PM

I agree with malmental on this - that definitely doesn't sound fine. Ensure everything is seated and connected correctly. Check and double-check everything. It sounds like some kind of power issue to me.
January 7, 2011 12:45:28 PM

Hmm alright, I'll take it apart and have a look, through I already did once. I'll try switching some connectors!
January 7, 2011 12:47:02 PM

Oh, one other thing...the main plug from thePSU to the motherboard, the big one..it doesnt fit all the way in the slot, what i mean is, it takes up maybe 80% of it with some space at the end, though I'm sure my old pc was the same...
January 7, 2011 12:55:00 PM

conure said:
Oh, one other thing...the main plug from thePSU to the motherboard, the big one..it doesnt fit all the way in the slot, what i mean is, it takes up maybe 80% of it with some space at the end, though I'm sure my old pc was the same...

That's probably because the MB requires a 20 +4 pin power feed from the PSU- which it doesn't sound like you've connected yet- or the PSU doesn't have it. And right there may be the source of your problem.

On the other hand, with the new turbo boost technology in the i7/i5 chips, it could have something to do with that- like it takes the MB a few seconds to determine the fan speed. But I doubt it. I agree with the others that fan should come on immediately. Always does on every other system.
January 7, 2011 12:59:35 PM

studioman22 said:
That's probably because the MB requires a 20 +4 pin power feed from the PSU- which it doesn't sound like you've connected yet- or the PSU doesn't have it. And right there may be the source of your problem.

On the other hand, with the new turbo boost technology in the i7/i5 chips, it could have something to do with that- like it takes the MB a few seconds to determine the fan speed. But I doubt it. I agree with the others that fan should come on immediately. Always does on every other system.

It's the same PSU I used on my old system - That had a quirk where it woul start booting then shut down for a second, then start again..Is there a way I can check if the PSU is stable? Ifnot, do I need to replace it? everything seems to be running fine, though I guess I wouldn't know
January 7, 2011 1:01:36 PM

Ah, just checked, it's a 20 pin in the motherboards big socket (a least it has 20 tiny cables) and ive got a 4 pin plugged into another position above the CPU..Should I email the mobo manufacturer? It's a 700 watt psu so it should have plenty of power. I ran prime 95 for half an hour and the CPU clocked up to 3.1ghz and was perfectly fine, never going above 64oC. That said I don't want to break any of thesenew parts...Is there a way I could check the currents/voltages running through my PC to see if theyre healthy?

Thanks for your help guys:) 
January 7, 2011 1:05:39 PM

conure said:
Ah, just checked, it's a 20 pin in the motherboards big socket (a least it has 20 tiny cables) and ive got a 4 pin plugged into another position above the CPU..Should I email the mobo manufacturer? It's a 700 watt psu so it should have plenty of power

I just went and checked specs on that board- and my hunch was correct- it takes a 24-pin power connector. And sounds like you have an older PSU which provides only a 20 pin. Common problem. Sounds like you need a new PSU bro.
January 7, 2011 1:10:07 PM

there should be an 4*-pin connector on the upper left above the CPU and a 24 pin power connector on the rightmost of the board. make sure all of them are connected to the PSU, it seems like you forgot to put in the extra 4 pins to the 24 pin part, psus usually have them ready for you beside the 20 pin connector that leads out from your PSU, also check the led, power, reset headers that connect the board to the case

*edit: only 4 pins on the upper left of the CPU in your case..
January 7, 2011 1:27:07 PM

Hey guys,

I tried to get another 4 pin connector into the final 4 pins as I thought that's what I had to do! Good thing I didn't manage to do it I guess...Should I not run my PC like this then? I could probably go and buy a new PSU now from the store...Don't really want to wait til tuesday..
January 7, 2011 1:33:56 PM

conure said:
Hey guys,

I tried to get another 4 pin connector into the final 4 pins as I thought that's what I had to do! Good thing I didn't manage to do it I guess...Should I not run my PC like this then? I could probably go and buy a new PSU now from the store...Don't really want to wait til tuesday..

As vertical said, if you don't see another 4 pin plug attached to the same 20 pin plug cable lead, it's not going to be anywhere else. The PSU is just older, that's all. And so what is happening is the MB is probably taking time to reassign power resources to make the CPU fan spin. Not the best situation, and plan on getting new one soon. Just about any you buy today new is going to provide the 20+4.
January 7, 2011 1:35:38 PM

I just phoned a local business (theyre nice guys, pretty knowledgeable) and he told me I could use a 20 to 24 pin converter as my PSU is 700 watts and has plenty of juice, failing that I could buy a new PSU from them for £45 @ 750 watts...What doyou guys think?

thank you so much for all the help!
January 7, 2011 1:44:38 PM

conure said:
I just phoned a local business (theyre nice guys, pretty knowledgeable) and he told me I could use a 20 to 24 pin converter as my PSU is 700 watts and has plenty of juice, failing that I could buy a new PSU from them for £45 @ 750 watts...What doyou guys think?

there's no reason a 20 to 24 pin adapter wouldn't work, you should be fine if you could get your hands on one :D 
January 7, 2011 1:45:33 PM

conure said:

:lol: 

You know what's happened every time I tried to use just about ANY kind of pin converter in just about ANY situation? It doesn't work- or works like crap.

You can try it, but why put off the inevitable? The extra four pins are there for a reason, as today's systems need more.
January 7, 2011 1:49:25 PM

Okay guys, things just got weirder. I said there was a 4 pin slot but it didnt fit...thats because it had ridged that made it attach to the other 20 pin thing..So I took it out and it worked fine...But...

The pc still has a fan delay, and I've also noticed there is no post sound. The CPU doesnt beep, yet it appears on the bios fine and is clearly working...Sooo, I don't know what to do..lol
a c 159 à CPUs
January 7, 2011 1:54:03 PM

Whatever you do, don't plug the wrong connector into the extra 4 pins on the 24 pin connector. What brand is your ps? Did I miss that earlier?
January 7, 2011 1:56:41 PM

Aww man, so now are you saying there IS another 4 pin plug attached to the 20-pin? :pfff: 

What is the exact model number of your power supply please?
January 7, 2011 2:05:07 PM

It's the arctic 700...something even weirder happened..I disconnected the case lights/reset button and it is working....What the hell?
January 7, 2011 2:07:15 PM

don't try putting in any random 4 pin connector in there! that WILL kill your motherboard.

unless your connector looks like this:

a 20pin lead + a 4pin lead right beside it.

it's looking like you need a new PSU though. maybe not lol
January 7, 2011 2:10:17 PM

conure said:
It's the arctic 700...something even weirder happened..I disconnected the case lights/reset button and it is working....What the hell?

some of the headers that lead from the case to your motherboard i.e. LEDs, power, and reset buttons might be mismatched, check the manual and connect it/them properly. oh, and don't fiddle with your PC while it's still connected to the power source D: and be sure to watch out for static electricity
January 7, 2011 2:10:23 PM

conure said:

The arctic 700 does indeed provide a 20+4 connector. Sheesh man, you are making this harder than it has to be. The plugs are meant to fit together when needed. They slide into each other with those little rails.

But now that you said the quoted above, sounds like you got the polarity wrong on the case connections. Get mobo manual, look at the pinouts, and make sure you get the polarities right.
January 7, 2011 3:18:59 PM

Rofl, thanks guys...I'm a real noob...Well, I checked and double checked and it's all running fine except for the fact that maybe 1 in 3 times when I reset it shuts off, then starts up....The mobo lights don't go off, but all the fans stop so it's kind've arbitrary...Maybe I jus shouldn't worry, I just don't like randomness in these things!
What do you guys recommend? Thanks so much again
January 7, 2011 4:44:32 PM

My friend fixed it, incase any of you guys wanted to know what the problem was for anyone in the future...Basically, I'd ordered 1600mhz ram and the motherboard didn't support 1600mhz unless it was in 'OC' mode, in the bios...Anyway, I set it to that and now it's perfect! He knew because he had a similar issue with his system.

Anyway everyone, thanks so much for your help :)  It was very kind of you all
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 4:48:35 PM

Nice one on sorting the problem and cheers for posting back, it all helps others who have similar issues :) 
January 7, 2011 6:27:48 PM

Well, sadly it turns out the problem is still there however it seems to have died down a bit...I spoke to someone with a similar system who says it happens to them, still, the machine seems very stable and it's not going too hot so I presume it's nothing to worry about, and if it is, I guess it's all under warranty..
January 7, 2011 6:41:33 PM

I do want to fix it, a guy I spoke to acted as though it could be an actual hardware malfunction but I'm not really sure about it..I've tried googling it but there isn't much, kind've afraid of just playing with the bios too..it's really annoying
January 7, 2011 6:55:48 PM

Well I've got to sleep now, but I tried another power supply earlier. I will give it another go tomorrow. Thank you:)  (will read manual now!)
January 7, 2011 6:59:31 PM

If it is just your CPU fan that is not spinning up right away, don't worry about it. It takes the CPU a minute to get hot enough for the motherboard to realize that the fan needs to be turned on. If the CPU temp is low, the fan doesn't need to run and won't. If you have checked your temps and they are fine, don't give it another thought. The last three computers I built were like this. The fan will always kick in shortly. If you are worried that it will never start up, go into the bios and enable the cpu fan fail warning. Then it will beep at you when the fan stops.
!