Sign in with
Your question

Installing raid 0 windows 7

Last response: in Storage
January 20, 2013 4:43:32 PM

Hello, I have installed windows 7 over a ssd disk and a raid 0. I have installed the controller but my raid volume appears as not asigned. there is a system partition of 100 mb in these disks. How can I determine if the installation of the RAID is correct?
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
January 20, 2013 5:19:36 PM

What does "I have installed windows 7 over a ssd disk and a raid 0" mean?

Cheers
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
January 20, 2013 5:23:03 PM

aligning the discs is done when you set up the RAID, if you want to align the disc around a different size then you will have to remake your RAID and then reinstall everything.

There is no such thing as an unalligned RAID... It is aligned, it is just a matter of what it is aligned to.
Related resources
January 20, 2013 6:21:42 PM

I have installed windows in a ssd disk and a raid 0 whith two 1tb disks. When I see my hard disk's administration I can see that my ssd is fine, but my raid appears as unsigned and whith a system partition of 100 mb. I would like to see if the raid is ok
a b $ Windows 7
a c 529 G Storage
January 20, 2013 7:41:20 PM

You should have installed Windows with all other drives disconnected.
Windows installed its System Reserved partition on your RAID array instead of on the SSD.

It's not a big deal, it's just that now you have to have your RAID connected in order to boot from your SSD. Windows reads and writes to the reserved partition during startup so if the drives are not connected or if you delete that partition then you won't be able to boot.

You said your RAID array is not assigned.
Go into Windows Disk Management to initialize the array. Once that's done assign it a drive letter, Quick format it, and it will be ready to use.
January 21, 2013 3:23:31 AM

Make sure you enabled the correct RAID configuration in your bios (what motherboard are you using?) For instance gigabyte boards have gsata raid and sata raid so see where you have your 1tb connected to on your motherboard. That may be why you don't see them in windows setup
January 22, 2013 6:12:42 PM

Thanks for your responses. I have initialize the array. I can see it now as a single disk. I have used sisoftsandra and shows an a raid now, but I am confused because windows xp
Did not shows the raid but win7 show it.
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
January 23, 2013 4:08:09 PM

winXP is really old and starting to show it's age. To get it to recognize your RAID you will need to have the proper RAID drivers installed, where Win7/8 will pick up most RAID arrays with no problem.
!