Dual ATI5770s or display port adapter?

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Hey all,

I just returned my display port adapter to Dell and they were very decent.
They took the adapter back long after the refund time and they gave me my money back.

The problem I was having is familiar to everyone I am sure. When using 3 monitors, the third would only work well under lower res.. I tried everything imaginable including drivers and nothing would fix this.

So now I am considering options. There are few of these adapters available and they all look exactly the same which leads me to believe there is some crafty or un-crafty re-branding going on. I just know I will buy another one and have the same issue just as everyone else is having I have read dozens of posts about this issue.

That leads me to my question. Instead of blowing $100 on a useless powered display port adapter I could spent the $150 on another Ati5770 but would this suit my needs? If I hooked up another card without using crossfire would the only added benefit from an additional card be the additional 2 monitors I could add?

If I hooked up the additional card using crossfire would I still be able to use 3 monitors without having to buy the display port adapter? Also what other benefits would an additional card using crossfire give me?

I would gladly pay the additional $50 or $60 to have a decent 3 monitor set up. I am anxious to play World Of warCraft across 3 monitors. Actually games like Call of Duty and Halo look pretty awesome with 3 monitors too. Driving games are amazing!!! Unfortunately most of time is spent coding websites etc and multiple monitors is must for this work..

What do the experts think?? Should I buy another card or what???

Thanks all,

Rich
Talk Internet Community Development

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Well guys, I couldn't wait and I took a chance. I happen to have the Gigabyte PD55-usb3 and it isn't a good choice for crossfire so I just went with another display port adapter(Active)..I got it here for $91 with free shipping! I saved like $25 off of the other one from Dell... Hopefully it works..

http://www.anonlinemall.com/Computers-541966-B002ISVI3U-Accell_UltraAV_B087B_002B_DisplayPortDVI_D_Dual_Link_Adapter_Black.html

That is where I bought it--if it doesn't work I will return it and then have to upgrade motherboards to go for the dual card set up.. I still need to know about multiple monitors with a crossfire set up. I believe I will still need the active adapter but could I be wrong?

Thanks

UrbanCore

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
I can tell you from experience that most of the DP > DVI adapters out there, powered or not, tend to have issues. I went through three of them before I gave up and just got a DP capable monitor. I had a very similar issue to the OP. It would only work at lower res and some times would flicker in and out, loose sync or just plain not work.

I never solved it, if you find a reliable adapter or solution I'd love to know.

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
GOOD NEWS GUYS!!!

I finally found the display port Active adapter that works!!!!!! I have my resolution up to 1650 and I had a group set up as well at 5070 or something--cant recall but it averaged 1650 on each... It has been running all day with no problems!! I am so happy! This adapter only cost around $90 and I got free shipping, It arrived in like 3 or 4 days!!!

I bought it here..

http://www.anonlinemall.com/Computers-541966-B002ISVI3U-Accell_UltraAV_B087B_002B_DisplayPortDVI_D_Dual_Link_Adapter_Black.html

I am testing some games now--I already played Dirt 2.. it looks amazing and no problems at all!! The res is perfect!! It looks exactly like the other displays with no lag or anything at all.

I have tested every way I can and so far I have had no problems but if anything happens I will let you know. This is too awesome! I was all set to blow $250 on the flex card and I was already making plans to return this adapter because I was so sure it would not work. I thought this was just like the BixLink but re labeled and it isn't. It is a totally different adapter with different packaging etc. It also has a 3 year warranty!

If you guys have the Eyefinity set up and have been looking for way to hook up 3 monitors, this is the adapter you need! I have done this so many ways now I am kind of an expert at it. If anyone needs help setting up 3 monitors either as a group or separate let me know. It is very easy really..

If anyone else purchases this let me know how it works out... I am sooo happy--I have had this for months now and have never had the multi monitor set up I wanted until now!! Yeeehaa!!

Thanks for the help guys!!

I am going to re post this too because I know there are so many people going crazy with this...

Rich

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Hey guys!

This is to those of you looking to run Eyefinity with multi monitors!
I finally found the Active Display Port Adapter that works!!!

I have my resolution up to 1650 and I had a group set up as well at 5070 or something--cant recall but it averaged 1650 on each... It has been running all day with no problems!! I am so happy! This adapter only cost around $90 and I got free shipping, It arrived in like 3 or 4 days! During order they said it would take a few weeks so I was so surprised to see it here so fast!!!

I bought it here..

I am testing some games now--I already played Dirt 2.. it looks amazing and no problems at all!! The res is perfect!! It looks exactly like the other displays with no lag or anything at all.

I have tested every way I can and so far I have had no problems but if anything happens I will let you know. This is too awesome! I was all set to blow $250 on the flex card and I was already making plans to return this adapter because I was so sure it would not work. I thought this was just like the BixLink but re labeled and it isn't. It is a totally different adapter with different packaging etc. It also has a 3 year warranty!

If you guys have the Eyefinity set up and have been looking for way to hook up 3 monitors, this is the adapter you need! I have done this so many ways now I am kind of an expert at it. If anyone needs help setting up 3 monitors either as a group or separate let me know. It is very easy really..

If anyone else purchases this let me know how it works out... I am sooo happy--I have had this for months now and have never had the multi monitor set up I wanted until now!! Yeeehaa!!

Thanks Guys--I hope this helps a few people because I have been searching for ever....

Rich

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
FYI--I just want to add that on the package it says it will work with Resotions up to 2560 by 1600.. The last one from Biz Link came in a little plain box--It wasn't even packed really. This one came in a plastic package that was a royal pain to open but well worth it..

Also, I said it had a 3 year warranty but it has a 2 year warranty--If you buy this save the packaging because it has the rma info on the back--Obviously save the receipt as well.. So far though no need for that..

I have a feeling these are going to go fast once everyone finds they work so I wouldn't wait guys..

By the way--I have nothing to do with the above site--It is just where I found and purchased this item for at the best price...

Thanks