fmxjones21

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Hey guys im just wondering Ive just been given a hp computer that is actually a fairly good computer and i was just wondering if i could install all the parts from the hp computer into my case. If i disconnect everything and put it in my new case and not upgrade anything maybe just add a few fans and more memory will i have to install all the drivers again? I don't have driver discs or anything so i just want to know if i disconnect everything and install in new case will i have to install all the drivers again?? thnxs

No you don't have to install any new drivers or re-install the OS.

You need to check first though and make sure the parts are compatible with the new case. Some pre-built systems do not have standard ATX power supplies or motherboards. Sometimes also the CPU cooler is built into the case itself.

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
No, you won't have to reinstall all the drivers. The only concern I have is that the motherboard in the HP is of a proprietary form factor (like BTX in Dell computers). If you've already verified that it's an ATX board, then the transition should go off without a hitch.

fmxjones21

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
thnxs i just found out it is atx form factor, this will be my second build so im ok with building it just wanted to know bout the drivers and stuff, thnxs heaps and also im installing a new power supply also