Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bottleneck my gtx470

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • Bottleneck
  • Processors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 27, 2010 5:27:24 AM

what the cheapest atholon processor that wont bottleneck my gtx 470. i live in canada so pricing off newegg puts the x3 445 as my choice would this be a bottleneck

More about : bottleneck gtx470

a b Î Nvidia
August 27, 2010 5:40:15 AM

The x3 445 should be fine if you give it an overclock. Also that processor is actually a quad core with one core locked. A lot of motherboards can unlock the 4th core in the BIOS so make sure to get one that can do so.
m
0
l
a c 92 Î Nvidia
August 27, 2010 5:42:55 AM

The X3 445 is a great little chip for the money. I do not believe it would bottleneck a GTX470 at all.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 27, 2010 5:57:00 AM

If "cheapest" is truly your motivator the cheapest would be an Athlon II X2 250. I can push a GTX470. However... I'd highly recommend spend an extra dime and going with a Phenom2 x2. It'll cost your about $10 more then the Athlon2 x3 but it will support you into the future.
m
0
l
August 27, 2010 6:17:29 AM

If the Phenom IIx2 is really that much more than the Athlon, then definitely the Phenom! Don't worry about 2 cores v. 4 cores....the Phenom will peroform better.
m
0
l
August 27, 2010 6:18:31 AM

thanks for your quick reply's can anyone recommend maybe another amd cpu 100~ price point that might have a significant improvement over this or is this a great bang for my buck processor
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 27, 2010 6:40:07 AM

Well, there's also the Phenom II x2 nameless mentioned. Like the x3 it is also a quad core but in this case it has two cores locked that can be unlocked with a motherboard with the proper BIOS settings. Now this process is not guaranteed to work. Sometimes the unlocked cores are actually defective and you won't be able to use them but the odds are fairly high that it will work. From what I've seen the odds are about 70-80% for the Phenom II x2 and 80-90% for the Athlon II x3. It's really a judgment call you'll have to make yourself about which to go for. The Phenom II x2 is $11 more on newegg at the moment and as I noted the odds are a bit worse for core unlocking but if it does work you'll end up with a Phenom II x4 rather than an Athlon II x4.
In case you are wondering the difference between an Athlon II and a Phenom II is that the Phenoms have L3 cache while the Athlons do not. This isn't that big of a deal for gaming usually but it does help a good bit in other CPU intensive tasks.
m
0
l
August 27, 2010 6:58:59 AM

jyjjy said:
Well, there's also the Phenom II x2 nameless mentioned. Like the x3 it is also a quad core but in this case it has two cores locked that can be unlocked with a motherboard with the proper BIOS settings. Now this process is not guaranteed to work. Sometimes the unlocked cores are actually defective and you won't be able to use them but the odds are fairly high that it will work. From what I've seen the odds are about 70-80% for the Phenom II x2 and 80-90% for the Athlon II x3. It's really a judgment call you'll have to make yourself about which to go for. The Phenom II x2 is $11 more on newegg at the moment and as I noted the odds are a bit worse for core unlocking but if it does work you'll end up with a Phenom II x4 rather than an Athlon II x4.
In case you are wondering the difference between an Athlon II and a Phenom II is that the Phenoms have L3 cache while the Athlons do not. This isn't that big of a deal for gaming usually but it does help a good bit in other CPU intensive tasks.


Nicely put sir! Though, I'd worry about the OP trying to unlock the core(s). I can't help but feel that the OP wouldn't be too comfortable/ successful in unlocking the core(s) if he isn't that tech savvy (no offense meant deadcold94, just trying to play it safe is all.)

Guess it would be better he went with a CPU which didn't require unlocking/ OC'ing.....unless the OP 'can' do those without a glitch.

Just my views...
m
0
l
August 27, 2010 7:03:59 AM

I have no idea where those "odds" percentages came from but I suspect they were made up on the spot.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 27, 2010 7:13:41 AM

namelessonez said:
Nicely put sir! Though, I'd worry about the OP trying to unlock the core(s). I can't help but feel that the OP wouldn't be too comfortable/ successful in unlocking the core(s) if he isn't that tech savvy (no offense meant deadcold94, just trying to play it safe is all.)

There is nothing complicated about it. It is a simple setting in the BIOS that you turn on or off.
m
0
l
August 27, 2010 7:18:36 AM

Be that as it may, there are some people who'd just rather not fiddle with the BIOS settings at all. Hence, I said 'if' the OP isn't too comfortable with fiddling with the BIOS. I for one, prefer to leave the BIOS settings as they came, so it's purely a personal view.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 27, 2010 7:25:10 AM

runningbot said:
I have no idea where those "odds" percentages came from but I suspect they were made up on the spot.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22...
The percentages for the Athlon II x3 was a rough estimate from a lot of research and is conservative. It's probably closer to 90 than 80.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 27, 2010 7:28:05 AM

namelessonez said:
Be that as it may, there are some people who'd just rather not fiddle with the BIOS settings at all. Hence, I said 'if' the OP isn't too comfortable with fiddling with the BIOS. I for one, prefer to leave the BIOS settings as they came, so it's purely a personal view.

I would never encourage that way of thinking. People will always have a needless fear of such if even experts on tech sites act like they should shy away from altering simple BIOS settings that can vastly increase performance. There's no call for that kind of attitude IMO.
m
0
l
August 27, 2010 8:54:47 AM

Thank you your input amd I have decided that I'm gonna test my luck with the phenom x2 . I A very capable at over clock and unlocking it is a very simple task . I understand that i'm not paying for a quad core , but rather a dual core with a quad as a lucky draw. Just to through his out there any one know why they canceled the. X3 720 I was really looking forward to ordering that product wish I could find a oem version somewhere as they we priced only 11$ higher then the 555be
m
0
l
August 27, 2010 12:50:11 PM

jyjjy said:
I would never encourage that way of thinking. People will always have a needless fear of such if even experts on tech sites act like they should shy away from altering simple BIOS settings that can vastly increase performance. There's no call for that kind of attitude IMO.



Let's see if I can't be clearer in what I was saying:) :

The idea was to provide the OP with all options possible, so he could get the best solution. If Overclocking/ unlocking isn't a hassle for him (which now stands clarified), then he could by all means consider doing so on the best available option..

However, if the same WAS an issue, it would be prudent to suggest alternatives so that he may find a comfortable solution. Like I said, some people just prefer leaving the settings alone. Those who are familiar with altering hardware settings would be quite comfortable with playing around with settings. By no means, was there any attempt to encourage him or anyone to shy away from altering settings which are simple. It was an open suggestion, subject to what the OP's views were qua OC'ing/ unlocking.

The Phenom II will give the OP good performances should he wish to OC it...which was what made me suggest it in the first place.

Trust the above suffices. :) 
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 27, 2010 4:10:05 PM

I understand that. What I'm saying is that if they display such an aversion they should be encouraged to overcome it and maybe learn to have confidence that they can accomplish things that are reasonable. Assuming such and presenting options in line with it ahead of time is just helping to validate/enable either a pointless fear or a lack of basic self confidence when it comes to technology.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 27, 2010 5:41:32 PM

Don't buy a CPU thinking it'll unlock. Buy a CPU expecting what is advertised, and only thinking about anything more as a "bonus". In other words, don't expect the cores to unlock and work fine. If you do, you may very well be disappointed.

So long as you buy a processor only expecting what is already enabled, anything extra is just fun. :) 
m
0
l
!