Antec has a new line of power supplies out called the High Current Gamer series. The HCG PSU's are available in 420W, 520W, 620W, 750W, and 900W. Antec was kind enough to let me take the 750 for a test drive.
I love getting my hands on a new power supply there is just something about them lol. Antec has sure done it again they have managed to make a very very high quality power supply. The HCG-750 was manufactured by Delta which is a sure sign that the unit is very high quality construction. It boosts four rails at 40 amps each with a combined power rating of 750 watts (62.5A). It is of non modular design so cable management can be tricky but if you are buying this high power of unit I would imagine you will be using most of the connectors. To make cable management easier they made the 4 PCI-E cables down into two chains 1 for each GPU, you will not be powering more then two GPU's with this unit so that does not make any difference then having 4 separate modular cables in fact I like it better this way. So if you are going for a tri card power house then I would recommend at least a 1 kilowatt unit.
JonnyGuru.com did an extensive test on its bigger brother the HCG-900 and they gave it a very strong 9.5 it showed excellent voltage regulation and stayed at or above its Bronze efficiency rating so I would imagine the 750 with basically the same exact guts inside will score the same. The only time it dropped below was the hotbox test but it was only a .5% below and the unit survived the box and to the people that read his reviews knows that usually only the higher quality units make it past the hotbox.
Here are the raw specs
- 750 watts of Continuous Power
- NVIDIA® SLI®-Ready certified, ATI CrossFire™ certified
- 80 PLUS® Bronze certified - up to 88% efficient
- Quad High Current +12V rails with high maximum load for better graphics card compatibility
- Quiet 135mm double ball bearing cooling fan with low start voltage
- Four gold-plated 8 (6+2)-pin PCI-E connectors for multiple-graphics card configurations
- All Japanese brand capacitors for reliability
- ATX12V version 2.3 and EPS version 2.91 compliant
- Gold-plated High Current terminals for optimal conductivity
- Universal Input - works on any 100V - 240V grid
- Active PFC with PF: 0.99 - less harmonic pollution, greater efficiency
- Full suite of industrial grade protection:
- Over current protection (OCP)
- Over voltage protection (OVP)
- Short circuit protection (SCP)
- Over power protection (OPP)
- Over temperature protection (OTP)
Price it list for $149.95 but I have seen it around for $129.95. I would say that sounds a little on the expensive side but it is a very stable and well built unit.