Which of my hard disks is failing - need help identifying

skrongky

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Hi guys, I was wondering if somebody could help me out. I gave my pc a much-needed dusting off yesterday and when I tried to turn it on again, it started acting up. At first windows was freezing every 10 minutes or so, then several times that I tried to restart it, it showed something like "disk error press any key to reboot". I thought some connections were just not properly inserted when I put the pc parts back together so I removed them again and made sure they were properly placed when I put it back. It worked, I used the computer for about 4 hours last night before going to bed.

Then this morning, it was back to freezing up every 10 minutes or so. I've read somewhere that this is a sign of a hard disk failure, could someone help me confirm if this is the case with what I'm dealing with right now? I'm not sure because maybe I just messed up the connections of my harddisk to the motherboard since the problem started after I cleaned my pc and put it back together.(I was totally careful about putting it all back but then again, I'm not the most knowledgeable guy in assembling back pc parts)

Also, if it is indeed a hard disk failure, I have two hard disks on my pc, one is a 40 gb drive c where only windows is installed and another is a 500gb drive d where all my files are located. Of course my first thought is that the drive c is the one broken, but is it also possible that my drive d is the one acting up?

Thanks for reading this and I really hope someone could help me sort this out.

-Kev

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Its almost certainly your c drive, Have you disk checked it? If not click on computer, When it shows your c and d drives right click the c drive and go down to properties and click. If the box that opens up shows the general tab click on the next tab (tools). Then where it says error checking click on the box that says "check". It may take awhile but it should clear up any corrupted parts of the disk if there are any.

skrongky

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I've tried doing that but the computer freezes up so I ended up restarting every 10 minutes or so. But thank you for confirming that it is indeed my c drive that is acting up, I was able to buy a new one and now in the process of reinstalling, things are awesome now, thanks for the help! :)

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012

No problem, I'm happy you got the problem solved. Computer hardware picks the strangest time to go out, I don't believe it was the cleaning job that did it. It was just waiting for the right moment, lol.