SSD seems to of randomly filled up?

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
Basically, I was having some video driver issues, but now they are fixed. However, for some reason my SSD has almost completely filled up. I had over 8GB of my 32GB SSD free prior to the driver update, but now there is less than 100MB. I didn't install the drivers to my SSD, and I don't have anything installed on there.

I have done everything on here to free space:
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

And I run the disk cleanup and clean the registry and stuff. Why did it suddenly fill up? How can I get the space back? I had my drivers installed on the SSD before, but experienced no space issues, but now they are on my HDD and my SSD is low on space? What is this madness?

There is nothing obvious on the drive. My AppData folder seems to of increased in size, but I don't know why it would increase that much with a driver update.

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

I realize you cited the optimization guide, and that the guide (IIRC) recommends disabling System Restore -- but the behavior you describe sounds like System Restore. Worth mentioning, anyway :)

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

I'll try treeSize. I have the pagefile completely disabled. I figured it was unnecessary with 16GB of RAM.

I have System Restore disabled too.

Thanks for attempting to help though, guys.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
Alright, I used TreeSize and I seem to of found the main cause. There was a 4GB temporary file from a program that crashed around the time that this started. I deleted it and I am doing better for space now. It's still not great though.

Sorry, but 32GB is far too small for Windows. Even 64GB is problematic (recommend 120GB).

After installing Windows the drive slowly fills up (Microsoft Updates, System Restore Points etc).

While there are ways to reduce memory usage (disable Hibernation and System Restore) 32GB is simply too small no matter what.

*Disabling your Pagefile can lead to crashing. Disable Hibernation instead.

SUMMARY:
- 32GB is just too small.
- 64GB minimum, 120GB recommended
- don't disable Pagefile

i have 80gb ssd, and yes it is difficult to manage space. specially with steam (some) games and the ever increasing (27gb) bf3.

i also have page file disabled due to limited space, been like this since i had my ssd, more than a year i think.

ouch, you are using win8, i am clueless :)

but im glad i was able to help a bit