natwoods

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Hello,
I just purchased a ASUS P8P67LE motherboard and have a WD Internal Hard Drive. After putting it together and turning on, I get "Not Detecting Hard Drive". I plan on using Window xp as the operating system. The hd does show in bios along with the dvd drive.

This is the first time that I built a computer with an ASUS motherboard. I have never had this problem before. I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

beenthere

Distinguished
Did you install the mobo chipset drivers on the CD that came with your new mobo? These are important and necessary.

If XP doesn't recognize the drive you might need to use the new hardware install detection option in "Control Panel". If the HD is newer than the XP O/S then you'll need to download the appropriate driver from the WD website.

natwoods

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

Thanks for your reply.

That is the thing. I haven't installed anything. I built the computer and turned on and the initial screen states no disks were detected. I tried then to start the computer with the windows xp disk in it and it will start to setup but will give a warning that there is a problem with the hard drive. When I put in the dvd for the motherboard thinking that I need to load the setup dvd, it does nothing and moves to a blinking cursor.

My dvd drive works fine it is the problem that it is not detecting the hard drive so windows doesn't have a place to go. When I looked in bios I saw the hard drive and dvd drive listed in the sata configuration screen.

It is in AHCI mode and not IDE or Raid.

beenthere

Distinguished
OK, got it. Have you checked that the HD is actually powering up? Have you checked the HD data cable to be sure the connector isn't partially off? Your User's Manual should tell you how to configure the SATA driver in the BIOS to recognise the HD.

natwoods

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

I have checked and the power connector is all the way in and the sata cable clicked into the back and on the motherboard. Bios on the SATA configuration has it listed, and I made sure that it was enabled. As far as powering up, I believe it is, as I said everything is connected. Since I only have 1 hd, I didn't mess with the jumper for the hd, left it as it was out of the box. I have both the hd and the dvd drive connected to the sata gray and not the blue. They are not listed as not present in the sata configuration screen.